Friday, January 28, 2011

trail sniffing trumps geocaching



I had about an hour of downtime between a stop near Drumright and a 5:00 appointment in Sand Springs. That is a geocachers window of opportunity, and I selected a supposedly easy one near Lake Heyburn.The entrance to a park area where I thought the cache would be turned out to be on the wrong side of the lake, and by checking Google Maps, I discovered I was less than a mile away by boat, but 12-15 miles away by road. So, I switched hats and put out my trail-radar, and it zeroed in on a trail head quicker than my GPS hones in on a cache!These are equestrian trails, but they were sweet smooth single track that wound around the fingers of the lake up and over ravines, and around the hillsides.My intent was to merely "see" what the trail was like, and I wish I had changed into my running clothes and trail shoes--they were in the car. Instead, I walked out around a half mile, and the trail just kept getting better. But not wanting to make myself late, and not wanting to get my spiffy street shoes muddy, I returned to my car.From there, I followed the road around in the direction I thought the trails were heading, and sure enough, I found a spot where the single track crossed the pavement. By my calculations, one could run at least 3 miles out and back on these trails--maybe much more.Usually, Heyburn is a muddy lake. It has never seemed to me like it had much use in the times I have cruised through in the past. Having trails here, I am pretty sure it will see some more trail runners.This junction pointed to a trail that might lead back to the original trailhead, but I could be wrong.Along this double track trail, there were about a dozen old crumbling picnic tables overgrown with weeds. Funny how this area is more like a ghost lake.This road would have taken me directly to the area where the geocache was, but I like what I found on this side better.One quirky thing about me--I never like to go back the same way I came. Today, trying a different route out was not a good idea.After the second stab at finding a different route, I gave up and took the safe way out. I did have an appointment to get to.

I hurried and made it in time to run with RunnersWorld tonight. Kathy has gotten in some new "arm panties"!! There are several different colors, and patterns, and I immediately found the pair I liked!!My friend Pat took my picture and promptly texted it to everyone on his phone list. This picture will be my motivation to start P90X. I need to beef my guns up to hold my panties up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment