Saturday, January 22, 2011

A teaser and a belated Tuesday report.




It's late Saturday night, and I took a bunch of great pics of some places never seen by most of my running friends--secret places that have remained hidden on Turkey Mountain.

But I hate to get things out of order. I also have some pix from our Secret Society run last Tuesday. So, if you'll indulge me a little, I'll post a few and I'll get to the Turkey Mountain discoveries tomorrow.Tuesday, we started in our usual hard-to-find location, and we ran a different direction. Holmes Peak was our destination, and since the days are getting longer, we were able to make it there and almost back to our car before total darkness. We had a full moon to light our way, and I was the only one in our group to have a headlamp. Would we need it?

From the top of Holmes Peak looking toward downtown Tulsa. I have never crested this peak withot taking a pictue of this Tulsa skyline. Arena will like this picture since she looks much taller than the Williams center.

From the top, we headed down the other side on a newly cut trail. Our friends with the Tulsa Running Club have been very busy working on the trails here in preparation for the Post Oak Lodge 50K/25K/10K/Marathon/Half Marathon on Saturday and Sunday February 26th and 27th.

We were running short on daylight, but at this point we had ran just a little over two miles, and we all wanted three.
It was a smaller group this night. Tuesday the weather was fairly warm, but a cold front was soon to be bearing down on us.
Looking westward across a beautiful manmade lake at the Botanical Gardens. We headed west on a nicely groomed trail that I knew made a 1.5 mile loop and came back near our cars. I turned on my trusty Princeton headlamp, and we all stayed fairly close through the woods and across a natural grassland area.

In a grove of trees a half mile out from our cars, an eerie bench beckons us to sit for a while. I am quite curious of the significance of the crucifix hanging on the tree.
A final phot of a beaming moon through winter's trees. It was a nice outing and an interesting route. We'll do it again I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment