Wednesday, January 12, 2011

a Wednesday Night Tempo Run




I did not run Monday. I did not run Tuesday. I meant to get up early and run this morning, but I did not. So tonight, I met a friend at the river and ran 6 miles! It's about dang time, doncha think? Gonna be hard to get a finish at Rocky if I don't get in some sort of a run here and there.

I dressed in layers of Icebreaker, and Asics tights, along with the magic shoes, and drove to 21st and Riverside to meet Alan, who also is known as Yogi in the blogging world. Alan has a blog-- Yogi's Den-- whch discusses his runs, his hobbies such as reading books--lots of books, his travels in his work, his vacations, his Sweetie, his cool son aka Super Pizza Boy, and geocaching. Geocaching involves a GPS device (slightly more sophisticated than our Garmin Forerunners) and using them to locate hidden caches in parks, wilderness areas, and secret hiding spots downtown. The above website has a list of GPS coordinates that help locate these treasure boxes that are actually Tupperware containers, army strong boxes, or other waterproof containers. The contents include a logbook, a pen or pencil, and usually some other souveneers or trinkets left by other finders. There are hundreds of these treasure chests hidden in the Tulsa Area alone, and Alan has hidden several, and found over a thousand! I don't really have time for another hobby, but this one really seems FUN!! Maybe after I get all my races out of the way--whenever that'll ever be.

Our run tonight--it was cold. We started at 21st and Riverside and once we got running, I was certainly warm enough.Notice the ice on the caps. Any colder, and I would have had snotsicles. We ran 6.3 miles at a 10:15 to 10:30 pace. Alan said towards the end of the run that it was a little faster than he usually runs, but I think he was just being nice. I had to hustle at times to keep up, but it felt good. After the run, it was a bit too cold to stand around much, and I hurried quickly and fired the heater in the Prius up.I know it was 7 degrees this morning and I know a lot of my running peeps ran in it. Good on ya. I'm glad I ran tonight instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment