Thursday, January 20, 2011

January TOTS Trail Trip



The T-TOTs took a road trip to run some different trails. (That has an ironic ring to it....) We car-pooled and caravanned to Keystone to run some mountain bike trails there. This network of trails is 5.5 miles, if all the loops are ran continuously, although any of the loops can be skipped for a shorter total.65-70 trail runners made the trip, and we broke up into a super-sonic fast group, a impressively fast group, a non-impressively fast group, and a walking group. I was non-impressively fast this day, and led the group that seemed to fit my pace.
Thing One and Thing Two buddied up with our group so I sent them ahead to kick all the rocks out of the way.
Brain aka Head TATUR, aka DIC-TATUR bought a new Canon camera--one that shoots raw images. I am afraid the censorship codes on Blogger might keep me from using his pix. (Actually, I learn new nifty camera stuff and lingo from Brian every time we chat cameras.)
Dee, Aaron, Cash, and Winnie are ready to run. Winnie had a wandering spirit today, and poor Dee spent most of the day tracking her down.
I played cat and mouse with my group--sometimes leading, sometimes taking pix. (If anyone pays close enough attention, they will see that I often stop to take pictures midway up a hill. Sure, it looks like I am just getting pics of my group, but secretly I am sucking air.)
Rachel leads a train of trail runners on a slightly less technical stretch of trail.
A little climbing never hurt anyone--right?
There were a couple of water crossings, but they could be easily crossed without getting your feet wet.
It was a cold morning--there was a good layer of ice on the creeks.
There were several newcomers to out TOT group. Ashley and Emily--sisters--were running their first trails ever this day. They either had a good time, or they are great actresses.
I just like this shot. Several times during the course, the trail crossed a power line easement. For most of the morning while we ran, the sky was gray.
A .15 mile uphill climb over rocks. You're not gonna see me riding a bike down this.
Ashley, Chris, and Cindy are cruising at mile four.
At the end of the big serpentine loop, we stood around and talked about the run, the rocks kicked, the face-plants or near misses, other trail trips, races, and who knows what all. I had the pleasure of running with an old friend Mike, who was a great buddy 22 years ago, and is a great trail running buddy now. The bug has bit him.

After everyone was taking off for home, Mitch and I ran a few miles in search of some trails I thought I saw the day before. Check back tomorrow at 4:00 pm for the tale and pictures of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment