Friday, January 21, 2011

Turkey in the Snow


It was a brisk 20 degrees with a breeze, but Dana had the idea that she wanted to run on Turkey in the snow. She had no problem at all talking me into that!!Yesterday, the trails had a lot of action--and I do mean a lot. There were lots of mountain bikes out, a few runners and hikers, along with several dogs. Most of the way, the trail was well trodden.

The sun was already up, but we were dipped down on the western side of a hill and got to see it peek over the top on it's way back behind the clouds.


With these "screw shoes" (my Montrail Hardrock HS12s) I did not slip even once in the 5 miles we ran.Notice that I have the screws around the perimeter of the shoe. I have seen folks put the screws in the center of the sole, but coming down on a pointy rock would make me afraid of impaling my foot with one of the screws--maybe not possible, but I dunno. I use 3/8" screws and they seem to do just fine, and I rarely lose one.

At the top of the hill, we ran into Jason. It may seem crazy to get out in sub-freezing temps and run through the woods in the snow, but it seems the most natural thing in the world to us.As I said, our plan was 5 miles, and we wanted to get some great pictures in the process. We headed north on the bunny trail--and we did infact see some bunny tracks!!

To steal a line from a Frank Zappa song from years back--"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow!"

We're approaching the Aquarium Trail--a trail named among a small circle of friends by Mike Snyder some years back because the gray shale and the large pourous looking rocks look like something you'd see in a fish aquarium. Just add fish.It's possibly the most beautiful stretch of trail on all of Turkey Mountain, IMHO.Chalk up a good day and a fun run. It was both.

No comments:

Post a Comment