Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pumpkin Holler Recon Trip

Sunday after my morning run with the TOTs, Brian and I made a road trip to a proposed race site. There will be more--a lot more about this race in the next week or so. The following pix are not so much about the course as they are about the mysterious way the sun always is trying to set.First off, a bashful sun ponders coming up over the eastern horizon. Or maybe it'll stay in bed like so many other wiser peepes unlike the ones who were out at 7:30 to run trails in the 14 degree heat--um, make that c-c-c-cold.

Our trip across the eastern part of the state took us to an enchanted land--one where the sun does it's best to slip over the western horizon in the mid-afternoon. Slacker!!Oh so quitely is slips behind the trees--melting last the last ice cube on a July sidewalk.Psst--hey--Can I go now? An hour later, another hill, and our sun is still trying to duck out of it's duties.These signs get no explanation other than that they are a subtle hint of an announcement to be made in the next few weeks.These are the "Bathtub Rocks", an unusal rock formation that reminds me of a lava flow. We had to drive across this in my Prius--something I don't want to do again.For the last 24 miles of our 34 mile exploritory journey, old Sol tried to bow out for an early nights sleep. I finally bid him farewell, as I know he needs his sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment