Sunday, January 9, 2011

TOTs, and a state history lesson.




It was another cold Sunday morning, running with the TOTs. Still, around 30 showed up for a few miles on the trails at Turkey Mountain. For some, this was their first time out on the trails. I always am a little concerned about taking new trail runners too far or on too hard of trails, but I had no complaints. For me, I took it easy, but felt surpisingly great considering yesterdays jaunt over mountain and stream at Athens/Big Fork in Arkansas. A detailed and illustrated race report will be up in a day or so on that adventure.

This morning, I ran in my Hoka One One trail shoes, aka Moon Shoes by most of my friends who have seen them and tried them on. I had to get a picture of the yellow boats up close with Rachel's Vibrams.On the left, a shoe where you feel every rock on the trails; and on the right, a shoe where there are no rocks to be felt--period. I like cushy!!!

I took the "Faster Than Stationary" group to one of the historical sites on Turkey Mountain. Two hundred years ago, a stone carving was done by an old Indian holy man. This monument no doubt had some spiritual significance, but it's shape was important in the blueprints of our statehood.The early settlers and the founding fathers of our state declared that the boundaries Oklahoma Territory be plotterd in the shape of this hallowed stone.The Oklahoma Rock is one of Turkey Mountains most under-rated attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment