Thursday, February 3, 2011

What day is it?




After our record 14.2" snow Tuesday, the rest of the week was cancelled. These folks who say "Today is my Friday" or whatever day there schedule makes it seem could give me some advise. I don't know WHAT day it is. And yes, EVERYTHING is closed. Only Quik Trip is open, and they are out of all but Premium gas, no pastries, and the shelves are getting bare.Yesterday (I think) I ventured out of my house. I had to take some pictures. Oh, and I got to take Dana to work (RNs HAVE to come to work even if it snows.) That meant I got to drive our Jeep for the rest of the day!!After dropping her off, and then picking up some of her snowed in co-workers, I toured the town.I had my camera in my pocket, and I am thinking it was a little too warm and then fogged when exposed to 5° temps.All streets were hazardous. There were hundreds of abandoned cars. And buses.And Dorito trucks. This one was vandalized--I am thinking someone stocked up for their Superbowl party. I thought about grabbing just one little pack of beef jerky laying on the road....but thought better of it and drove on.Here is what you're looking at--from the bottom up: Clumps of lightly salted plowed snow from Riverside Drive, a 12' paved bike path under 14 inches of snow, an ice flow down the Arkansas River--not frozen enough to walk on but cold enough for an awesome polar bear plunge, the west Tulsa refinery, and beautiful bright blue sky.A Jeep is wonderful in the snow. I had the opportunity to pull a Chevy S-10 out of a ditch. He had a chain and it was a piece of cake. A Jeep CAN get stuck, as I did twice this day. West of Sand Springs, I tried to turn around and spun in a little too far up this hollow. (Might be a good trail there--another day perhaps.) I had good fortune as a Chevy pick-up gave me a pull out of this scrape.It had warmed to 18° and a couple of my RW friends had cabin fever and wanted to go for a run. I picked up Deborah and Christi, and we ran on rutted roads behind and north of RunnersWorld.I needed an easy run to loosen things up from sitting in the Jeep for hours, and Deb and Christi were wanting to blow the cobwebs out.Christi's awesome shirt!As long as we ran in snow smunched down by cars, it was just like trail running, except you slid a little every now and then. My feet were warm the whole time. I wore my Saucony Razers, which have built-in gaiters. It was a good choice, but I wish I had put screws in them.It was after running to the top of this hill, that a group of sledders called the girls "hardcore", which they liked immensely. I was lagging behind, and I did not get such a compliment. :-( We ended up with 6 miles, and promptly got stuck trying to plow through a snowdrift in the RW parking lot. The good karma I had been sewing paid off, and not one but two trucks stopped to help--one came with a shovel, and the other with a tow rope. Funny how a disaster brings out the best in people.After getting home, I got in some cross training. Nothing that superman and a shovel cannot conquer.At days end, a picture down my street from the other direction. A day has passed full circle, and what a full circle it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment