Friday, February 4, 2011

The night before and the journey here




I fully expected the trip from Tulsa to Huntsville, TX to take all of 16 hours. Bill, Kathy, and I left out from my house at 11:00 pm and we got stuck before we moved an inch. But with Kathy and I pushing and Bill at the wheel, we got her Jeep Liberty rolling and we were on the way.

Highway 75 was packed ice and snow and quite bumpy. Our friend Caroline was an hour ahead of us and told us the roads were improving as we moved south. She did mention a very slick icy spot near Kiowa, and sure enough when we drove through there, we lost control of the Jeep and skidded in slow motion 180 degrees and came to a stop slightly off the road on the other side. No harm done, and we had no choice but to head back north since we were pointed that way and then turned around. Then, heading back south slower and carefully, we almost lost it again in the exact same spot. It was slick as snot on a brass door knob. (Something my Dad used to say.)

Around Durant, the snowfall began. It was heavy, and coming into the suburbs of Dallas (McKinney) we were in a clump of cars and behind a semi that was kicking up so much powder that visibility was nil. As we edged closer attempting to pass, we got sideways. Our spinning slide slowed the Jeep and most of the surrounding cars dogged us. Again, the slow-motion skid came to a halt but not before smacking a guard rail on the bridge with the front corner of Kathy's pretty red Jeep.

Kathy, gracious girl that she is, laughed it off and showed no hint of blame to the driver. I'm not gonna say WHO was driving, but we razzed him for the rest of the trip.

I drove from Ennis on to Huntsville and endured 6" deep snow with ruts, several miles of soft blanket-like snow, and finally 40 miles of glossy ice. The rear wheel drive Jeep Liberty made it but not without me pinching the crap out of the steering wheel and clawing the dash.

At the packet pickup, we briefly visited with Anton Krupika and Scott Jurek. I have pictures on my camera but no way to post them until I get home.

We're laying around in the motel, gonna try to get to sleep soon. The trails are actually supposed to be in great condition. I will not be able to do Facebook updates, as I am gonna focus on the task at hand of finishing. But I'll post an update on FB on the way home.BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment