Monday, February 7, 2011

Conquered the 'Coon




Sometimes when I put together a race report, it is so hard to narrow down which pictures I want to post, and who all I want to give props to. These things can get so long, but hey--the race is long. So, if you want the Reader's Digest version, I made it to the starting line, I ran and had a decent race, and I finished in 28:25--fully 4 minutes faster than my last 100 miler.

But if you want to read through this and check out some pictures while eating a bowl of corn flakes or bacon and eggs, well I'm happy about that. :-)

As I mentioned in a couple of previous posts, the trip to Huntsville was a nerve-racking trip. I made the trip with my awesome friends Kathy Hoover and Bill Ford. Caroline Glenn also went and drove her own car. An unusual snowstorm dumped 6 inches of snow in north and central Texas, making HW 75 and I-45 a skating rink.As we neared Huntsville, the snow was less, but the ice was still present and slick. Fighting so hard to get there, we HAD to complete the task at hand. We checked into our motel and made our way to the Sam Houston State (University, not penitentiary, although the prison was right across the street!)

The field at this years race was star-studded.
A smiling Kathy got to cuddle up to Anton Krupika and Scott Jurek at the pre-race meeting.

We got a bite to eat and returned to the motel and I was asleep by 10:00 pm--a modern day record for me.

By morning, the clear skies and dry air had evaporated what little ice was on the road, and despite the temps being in the low 20s, it promised to be a good day.
The girls--Caroline and Kathy had their game faces on. We arrived 20 minutes early, but by the time we checked in and got our drop bags placed in the designated area, it was time to go.
I'm not sure how many 100 milers started the race. Around 450ish were signed up, but so many people were just not able to make it with the roads being as bad as they were, and a lot of flights into Houston were cancelled or delayed.

I had no specific plan for the race. It's not that I had given it no thought, but I was gonna just run whatever was comfortable, drink a lot (water), take my electrolytes every couple of hours, eat something at every aid station, and use my sea salt to combat any nausea. I was wearing my Hokas, and they did as advertised and the bottoms of my feet feel like I have not even ran instead of like they were beat up with a hammer. Truly, I only wanted a finish and I planned to use this as a training run for Rouge/Orleans. (A 100 miler for a training run????)
I love the trails, terrain, and flora at Huntsville State Park. There are miles of trails carpeted with pine needles, some jungle-like plants like these, sandy sections, rolling hills, and beautiful lake views.Ok, this trail has leaves other than pine needles.The pines reach clear to the sky. The wind whirring through the upper boughs is music to my ears.
There are over 30 wooden bridges in the park. These are fun to run over, although this morning, they were covered in ice. My 3rd fall of the day was on an inclined section of one of these bridges--hit my bum and elbow hard, but was not hurt other than looking silly.
This is taken from the dam trail.The dam trail as a bright sun shows up for work.
Looking across the lake to the start/finish area. There were 3 aid stations plus the start/finish. The aid station below, DamNation, you hit twice on the loop at mile 6 and 12.
My position at this point was near the back of the pack. The runners you see were 6 miles ahead of me. My first 20 mile loop was in 4:22, and I slowed down from there.Heading out of DamNation on a 6 mile loop and back. This is a section that a few people complained about, but I liked it. I always seemed to run it well, and although we went 6 miles between aid stops, it never seemed that long to me.Another long icy bridge. These bridges thawed out after about midway through my second loop.Evidently, the park recently had some high winds as there were a lot of trees blown down. Many were cut out of the way. This one was left since it had destroyed part of the bridge anyway.Rocky Raccoon is not at all rocky. There are almost no rocks on the course--but there are LOTS of roots. These roots are menacing if you accidentally kick them and will send you to the ground. Happened to me 8 times (well, 7 times--once was on an icy bridge.) The root system above is my fave. It reminds me of a huge turkey foot.Most of the trails are slightly wider than traditional single track, and runners can run two abreast. Some of the trails are actually forest service roads, and you can stack about five wide on those.
And the superstars--Anton Krupika comes ablazing by. Anton has a long list of races won, including Rocky Raccoon a few years back, and Leadville among others. (Click on the pic to enlarge.)Next comes Hal Koerner. Hal is a former Western States winner.And then Scott Jurek zooms by. Scott is a seven-time Western States winner, and has won Badwater. One of the aid stations had this poster. I hope Scott took it as good fun.

The winner of the race, Ian Sharman, blistered the course and obliterated the course record running a 12:44--that's a 7:38minute mile pace. My 5K time is not even that fast.
I am sorry that I did not get a picture of him as I did a few of the others. This picture was borrowed from Google. He was actually so far ahead of Anton that I never thought he was winning the 100 mile race--I thought he must have been in the 50.

Back to my race--my second lap was slower, and the third was slower yet. At night, my ability to run was impaired since I was just not seeing the roots and had taken a few falls--one of them in which I hit the ground pretty hard. I'd walk any section that was rooty, and I was walking most of the hills. I was taking an occasional 5-Hour Energy, but walking was not keeping my blood pumping enough to keep me alert. I'd find myself shuffling and then closing my eyes, and then I'd kick a root. My pace slowed incredibly. I had enough time in the bank to finish even if I walked the whole thing in, but it was seemingly taking so long!! Each time I saw Kathy and Bill, they had increased their lead on me.

Finally, at mile 6 on lap five, the sun came up, and I was revived. I drank a cup of so-so coffee at an aid station and purposed myself to finish strong. So off I went in pursuit of other runners to pass. I guess there was quite a gap between me and the next runner as I ran for 4 miles before I caught anyone.But in my haste, I stubbed my toe on a root and was on the ground in a split second. I bent my middle finger back (it's still swollen a little) and bumped my head on the ground. It was my worst fall in a long time. I lay there for a second to make sure I was ok, and being the ham I am, I took the self portrait.And above me--the trees that reach to the sky.My final trip through DamNation. My friend Lynn Ballard with the North Texas Trail Runners was the aid station captain. I have not visited with Lynn in quite a while--it was good to see him if even for a short visit.
Also, at the Nature Center aid stop, I ran into a couple of FaceBook friends. Josue and Paula with Team Traverse were manning the goodie table when I came through. It was cool to meet them, and they sent me on my way fed, watered, and encouraged. (I forgot to get a picture of them, and borrowed this from Josue's FB page.)

Well, from the time I caught a few runners going across the dam, I ran at nearly 100% effort clear to the finish. Now 100% effort after 90 miles is really not all that fast, but it seemed fast to me. I'd blaze by someone walking, and then ease up a little to recover and mow down another when I caught them. (I sound like a real schmuck, huh?) The last half mile is mostly downhill, and I gave it all I had.The final tenth is downhill with the finish line in sight. I ran as hard as I have ever run, and blazed over the finish line and spiked my water bottle. (My attempt at being cool....) I had finished!! Avenged a DNF from a few years back, and won my belt buckle!!

A few other encounters--I met Derek Westbrook, a blogging friend. .I read today on his blog that he dropped at mile 60. I had hoped to hang out with him a bit at the finish line, but I'm sure we'll meet at other races in the future.

I also met a FaceBook friend Dan LaPlante. We have chatted off and on for a year or so on FB. Dan battled nausea and the DNF monster got him too. That hurts--been there done that--7 times myself!

Bill and Kathy ran together from mile 20 to the end. Each time I saw them on the out-and-backs, they were in good spirits, and they did not slack off a bit on the pace during the night. They finished in 23:51--Bill's first 100 mile finish, Kathy's 8th. (Kathy and I are still tied for 100 mile finishes!) Kathy also was 8th female overall and 1st female masters (50 and over.)
I posted this picture on FB while Bill was driving us home. Thanks for all the atta-boys and congrats. A couple of people asked why I was not smiling...that I looked tired (doh!)...or that I looked confused. Well, I can say that I thought I had a look af great satisfaction. Or maybe I WASD confused....I am getting up in years. Or maybe it was because I was trying to balance my iPhone while pointing it at my face and belt buckle, and trying to push the touch screen in the right place for the picture to snap. This was the 4th or 5th try.

No comments:

Post a Comment