Monday, February 28, 2011

Post Oak Trail Race--aid station stuff, and just running around




Saturday, I hung out at the Post Oak Trail Run. Stormy and I worked the Holmes Peak aid station, and I also meandered around taking pictures and running a bit here and there with friends. This was the second year for this race put on by the Tulsa Running Club and is run on the property of the Post Oak Lodge and the Botanical Gardens northwest of Tulsa.There was an early start for the 50Kers who wanted a little more time. Then, the 25K and 50K started at 8:00 and the 10K started shortly after that. Thing Two and Trail Goat have their game faces on and are ready to mow all the geezers down. They were not mowing me down this day, as I was waiting for them at the 2nd aid station.Thanks to K2 for these first two pics.

The first of my friends through my aid stop (about 7K in) was Tom Dorothy. He was in 3rd or 4th I think at this point. He blazed right on through, and looked strong.

Next was Charlie Wilsey, and he stopped to chat for a bit. Charlie had a knee bothering him, but kept up the battle and finished the 50K.
Thing Two and Trail Goat did not stop for water, Gatorade, brownies, or Cheezits. That left more for me to eat, which I did.

Lyle looks strong the first time through. Mr. Marathon, a guy who runs a marathon every weekend, and usually does two and usually in two different states, was running his first real trail ultra. Suffice to say he was tired, but he still ran a respectable time both in the 50K and in the marathon the next day. Lyle is soon to be a 10 star maniac.

Mark, the dad to Thing Two and Trail Goat, takes a short walk break. Mark finished the 25K and doubled by running the quarter marathon the next day.

Miss Kate poses her super-model smile for a slobbering paparazzi.Actually, I bribed her with a brownie. Kate was another doubler, running 25K/half marathon.

My good friend K2.Ken tackled the 50K this day, running on a troublesome knee. Not the joint, but the soft tissue on the outside of the knee. He was at a decent pace the first time he hit our station, but had fallen back a lot by the second time through. More on K2 in a minute.

Next was Mitch and Arena. Stormy comes out to meet them.My dear friends Arena and Mitch were also doublers, running 25K and the half marathon.

It was a bit of an uphill to our aid station, and most of the mid packers walked the few hundred yards to our oasis.
And we were blessed with volunteers.

Another friend, Mike, ran the 10K in aqua shoes. These seem to have even less substance than VFFs or the NB101s. Not for my feet! Can't wait to run some more trails with you, Mike.

I had to snap a quick pic to catch Ashley. She floated through on her way to the 10K finish line.

Wilma was not too far behind, but was in a more relaxed pace. She seemed happy to be out there, and was reeling the finish line in at this point.

More good friends--Teresa and Paula. It's so awesome to see these girls out on the trails.

Here's an old trail dog. My friend Alan, had inquired as to whether or not we might have an adult malted hydration option. I had told him we did, and he enjoys his Boulevard Wheat Gatorade.

It slowed down quite a bit at our stop, and I calculated when the fast 50Kers might be back through our stop, and decided I could get in a little running. Stormy and I headed over to the Botanical Gardens aid station which was about a half mile away, but about 4 miles away by the course trails. We timed it about right, and got there just before a few TATURs rolled through.
Here comes Mitch and Arena, all smiles. Both of these dear friends have done their training--a lot of it right out on these trails. K2 was not to far behind, and we decided to run a 3 mile loop with them.
This loop took us through the northern part of the course, and even though it was late in the morning, the fog was showing no signs of lifting.

Mitch and Arena along with Stormy, pulled out ahead, and I hung back and chatted with K2.

We got back to the pond by the Botanical Garden headquarters, and K2 and I parted ways.

On the far side of the pond, I met randy Ellis, who was on his return trip, many miles ahead of where K2 was. Randy is just fast. He had just taken a fall and had bruised his hip. But that really didn't slow him down. He went on to a 5:39 50K finish and a 3:58 finish in the road marathon on Sunday. WOW!

By the time I made it back to our aid station, the boss was there. Johnny Spriggs, the RD was there, pitching in and helping out, and trying to find out where the later runners were and how they were doing.

After a while, Tom made his way back through on his return trip. He was ready for a beer, which I had brought. Watered and fueled, Tom seemed ready for his final 5 miles. I decided to run with Tom to the finish, which meant a trip up and over Holmes Peak.

They had cut a new trail for this race right up the back side of the hill. This was one of the steepest climbs on the course.

This is the highest point in 3 counties, and usually has a great view of downtown Tulsa--but not today.

A trio of runners flying down the other side. Would we catch them? No.

I just had to take this picture. Not sure what animal this used to be.

Tom knows he has it in the bag. This was his first double, and he pulled it off. What will he do next???

I did not run this race this year because of the run I have on tap next weekend. It was probably a good call to sit this one out, but I sure wanted to. I'll probably be on the starting line at Post Oak next year.

I ended up with 12.2 miles for the day--nothing fast, and with the 14 on Sunday, I had a marathon in 2 days. It is truly time to taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment