Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday Morning Run, Trash, and Some Creepy $h*t!!




I got up early this morning for a quick run on Turkey. The legs felt good, and although I should be taking it easy, I just wanna run. I headed north on the Powerline trail--jogged the downhills easy and powerwalked the ups. I tucked into the woods at the bottom of the last hill, and wound around trying to find a trail I had not been on before--like that's even possible.But I did find this sign in a deep ravine. Kind of amusing that a handicap sign would be in such a rugged place. Then, I headed back up to where I had heard that some "campers" had again taken residence.I can understand that some people can fall on hard times, and have to make the best they can with what they have to work with. I am not sure what the story is here.Nature lovers? Crack heads? I probably would deem it cool if they were not trashing the place up. Plus, just not knowing what kind of people they are. I would not feel comfortable with Dana running anywhere near this, and in fact, this tent is very near and within sight of a trail where we often run.This is another "campsite." This area was occupied a few years ago, and look at the mess they left. It would be a tough undertaking for the Turkey Mountain Preservation Group to get vehicles up to load all this crap up.I'm not sure what all to believe about this--but I had heard that whoever lived there were busted for drug use and possibly assault. That's all the more reason for running these vagrants off.

I then headed south across 61st Street to a part of the mountain where I rarely run. People who read this blog probably think that Oklahomans are the trashiest people on the planet. I passed not one, but two refrigerators, and a washer and dryer.It's a used appliance store up there! I ran on on sparcely used trails, thinking all the way that if a bit of grooming were done, we could reclaim miles of trails. I thought I had been on every trail on Turkey Mountain, but apparantly I was wrong. Anybody seen this tree house?At least it is supposed to be a tree house, or tree stand. Lots of briers along the way, and I was not sure I wanted to go much further this way.Here's another odd sight in the deep woods. This iron headboard probably has sat against this tree for decades. I had dropped down over another hill into a gulch, and climbed up the other side thinking I might find any kind of trail that would take me back eastward. That's when I saw these markings. Someone had done some preliminary markings of a route. I was sure it led to somewhere.Some of the markings were duct tape, but some of it was paint....or was it some other substance??Kind of unsettling, I was thinking. Then, I came to a clearing with NO BRIERS. A good thing. But WHY was this steel pipe wrapped around this tree??? Hmmm....I turned away from the tree, and headed north. I came to a hill that wrapped around and made sort of an amphitheater. It meant some climbing regardless of which way I went, but I was good with that.Right in the middle of this natural arena was this pile of rocks, that reminded me of an alter. That, along with the blood red markings on the trees, and the steel pipe twisted around the tree was really creeping me out. I took this picture, and looked all around me, taking inventory of my surroundings as I decided where to go from here. That's when I saw this pile of bones.This was the motivation I needed to get the hell out of there, and I did some nice hill climbing and bushwhacking and made it back to 61st Street in record time.

No comments:

Post a Comment