Sunday, April 29, 2012

Frisco Railroad Run




While a host of running friends were travelling to Oklahoma City for the marathon, I was running a beautiful trail NW of Springfield, MO. The Frisco Railroad Run. This event included a 50 miler, a 50K, a marathon, half marathon, and an 8K. Something for everyone.The turnout was huge--I think this race had way more entrants than last year due to the addition of shorter distances.
The Tulsa contingent included Dana and I, Charlotte, and Dennis (pictured above) and Cheryl (pictured below. Kurt and Shelley Egli, and Eric VanSee also made the trip, but I did bot get a picture of them.
Cheryl ran the 50K, Eric ran the marathon, Dana ran the half, and Kurt and Shelley, Charlotte, Dennis, and I ran the 50 mile.
The marathon and ultra distances started at 8:00, and the first 2.25 miles were on a paved bike trail (formerly the Frisco railroad line.)
The first aid station was where we got off the pavement and began out trek on nice chat and gravel paths.
Going out, I loved the trail. I wore my Asics NEO33s, which seemed like a good decision until mile 30 when the small gravel began wearing on the balls of my feet. I rarely deviate from trail shoes running off road. It gave me a bit of trouble, but nothing major.
Most of the way was well shaded, and it was overcast and rainy-looking, but once or twice the sun peeked out and the temps would spike--it could have been a hot day.
Around mile 10, the trail narrowed, and the trees towered above the trail. This was my favorite section, and it was here that I realized I could have a good half-marathon split. I picked it up for 3 miles, and hit 13.1 miles at 2:13 and change. This got me thinking about what I could actually do on this day. Was a sub 10 a possibility?
The old railroad bridges had a certain charm. In places they had a steel deck that would really bounce up and down when I ran across. Not a cool thing. I walked all of these. Some were surfaced with treated decking, and some were concreted.
Why there would be road kill on a path restricted to bicycle and foot traffic is beyond me. These two kills were about a 1/4 mile apart, and to save a picture, I toted the armadillo to where the chicken hawk was to save room on my camera card.
After the marathon and 50K runners turned around, it was just us 50 milers, and I ran alone for much of the way. I had my iPod and cranked up the tunes.
This bridge slanted to the left so much that I wondered if erosion was affecting the pilings. This was another walker.
This is the signature bridge of the trail.
We had run along this river for a couple of miles, enjoying views of small rapids and waterfalls. Here, it was just a muddy lazy river.
My 25K split was 2:45--a little off the pace, but still a time I was happy with. 4:53 at the marathon, and 6:20 at 50K. By now, I realized a sub 10 was out of the picture. Doing math while running is very difficult, but I thought I still had a fighting chance at 10:30.

I had heard the trail was mostly uphill going out, and downhill coming back. Actually, the course was very flat, but there was a slight climb most all of the way back. Runnable, and I ran most of it, but it took a toll and the last few miles were a struggle. I'd make myself run for a song, walk 100 steps, and then run til the end of the song again. It got me there.
I had played leapfrog with Charlotte off and on for the last 20 miles. She is a faster walker and slightly faster runner. I took shorter walk breaks though allowing me to occasionally pass her. She had a pacer and crew, and they graciously allowed me to fill my water bottle with ice, which helped immensely!! When we reached the pavement (only 2.25 miles to go!!) her pacer bowed out, and Charlotte and I agreed to run it in together. I had a grand plan to hit it hard once I hit the pavement, but there were no runners within sight to run down, so we took walk breaks as needed. Jonathon, a friend from Arkansas passed us, and since I was twice his age, I gave in to youth. Knowing we had 2.25 miles on the pavement, and 30 minutes to break 11 hours was a relief. We finished in 10:55. It would have been 10:54 by the chip--we had chips, but the finish line and timing mats were gone--put away a few hours before the race was over. It looks like the 50K and shorter distances got the benefit of chip timing, but not the 50 milers. No biggie, I suppose. They were also out of medals, but I was told one would be mailed. The medal (Dana got one for her PR half marathon finish) was nice looking.I also was given an award for first in my age group, which I was sure was wrong. And technically it was wrong. They give age group awards in 10 year increments three deep, but also give masters awards, and veterans awards. ( I guess veterans are older than masters?) So, there was a 50-59 guy who got a veterans award, and another who got a masters award. I got a glass and a small medal for first. I did beat two other codgers.

In summary--it was a nice race. It's a great PR course. (I PRd, although my 50 mile PR was soft--at the Midnight Madness HeatFest.) The medals are great. The tech shirts are pretty good. I would have liked a better selection of aid station food. The aid stops were no more than what you'd get in a road marathon--water and Gatorade. I like to EAT in ultras. One or two of the stops had a few PBJs, and a couple had Pretzels and potato chips. I really ran low on calories, and fortunately I had a pack of shot bloks and plenty of electrolytes with me.

It was good that Dana ran the half. She had time to go back to the motel, shower, nap, and then meet me at the finish with a McDonald's frappe. Plus, she drove me home. Like I said, I'm spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment