Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ken's All-Night Birthday Run


Friday night, starting out at 9:45, several of my friends and I headed to the trails to run for hours and hours on Turkey Mountain. This is the 3rd year I have hosted an all-niter on my birthday (which is actually Sunday.)Behind me are, left to right, Candice, Johnnie aka Tatur Uno, Glenn, Arnold (just back from pacing duties at Badwater), Brian, Roman, Kathy, and Bill (who won the prize for coming the farthest.)

We headed up Lipbuster and then did a run of the Snake. I had stashed two ice chests at the upper parking lot with water, Gatorade, some cran-grape juice, and best of all....BEER! We used the upper lot as a hub, coming back to rehydrate several times during the night.
Bee-sting Bob, in the gray and red shirt, met up with us later and ran with us for a few hours. 
He came bearing gifts, presenting me with the coolest flexible tripod for my camera. I had been stacking and propping my camera on rocks when using the timer, and he saw I could use one of these. This tripod can be twisted and hung from tree limbs or jail bars, or just about anything depending on where I am at the time.

At midnight, Dana met us at the lower parking lot with pizza and made-from-scratch cheesecake with strawberries.We wolfed pizza and munched on the huge slabs of cheesecake until we could not even move.




Some of the crazier ones practiced their photo-bombing skills.
Tatur Uno resting comfortably.


Candice has ran at night before, and has ran trails before. But tonight was her first night run on trails. She ran 8 miles, kicked several rocks, and only had a bloody knee to show for it.
Afterward, I met the RunnersWorld runners at Veterans Park and ran a few more miles on roads to finish out my effort. I ended up with 28 miles, with most of them on the more technical trails of Turkey. Now, I need to work on catching up on SLEEP. Thanks so much to all of my friends who ran with me during the night. These are the best birthday celebrations I've ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment