Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Trailz, geocaches, bridges, trains, and ticks




After a Sapulpa appointment was short and done, I took advantage of about 45 minutes of remaining daylight to hunt for a geocache. This excellent time wasting activity often takes me places I'd never go, and sometimes spills over into new semi-trail-like places that lend themselves to further adventures. This day was one of those days.I suppose it is a bit misleading top show this picture, because this is where I parked. However, the geocache was on the other side of the road. Still, this could be another adventure. Google maps show this dirt-ish road winding around for about 2 miles. Can you say "out-and-back?"
Down an embankment, over some rail road tracks, and down another embankment, through a creek, over a fallen tree, through a barbed wire fence, and WALLA!! I was within 7 feet of the geocache!!

Ahhh--there it is!!! I wrote the date and my name in the log, along with a TFTC. This old dead tree was right beside a TRAIL!! Of course, there WAS an easier way to get to the cache than the way I came.
The trail called, and of course I followed.
I'd love to tell you the trail meandered along the stream, winding over hill and hollow--but it just led to a bigger creek, and under an old railroad bridge.
An old it was. This bridge is older than Betty White!! This bridge looked like it might have been drinking headquarters to some of the locals, and no doubt they were the trail groomers. And quite an artistic bunch too. I took a few pictures of some of the graffiti, but decided against posting them as I don't want a "graphic material warning" on my blog.

But wait--do I hear something? Could it be?? YESS!!! A TRAIN!!! I edited out most of the video as it was a looooong train. I headed under the bridge, and climbed the embankment on the other side to the road and walked back to my car. This journey of ~1/4 mile was done in street clothes, and Rockport Loafers. What do you think? Log the mileage, or not?

In a sick yet exciting way, the best part of the trip was when I got back to my car. I had a couple of stickers on my jeans, and noticed one of them was crawling.WOW!!!! The tick-o-meter has started. On January 18, I have my first tick of the year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment