Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Warrior Princess Trail Run Preview




Yesterday, I ran out at Keystone on the mountain bike trails--the site of the Warrior Princess Trail Run.I went to do a little mapping, measuring, and pre-marking for next Monday's race.
The trails are amazing--the trees are budding and green is exploding with the little rain we received the past week. A bonus (to me anyway) was that I got my Canon SD960 delivered to my house--repaired since somehow the LED screen cracked. I luv my little camera.
It is possible that there could be a few water crossings in the race if we get any significant rains this week. Most are still passable with dry feet via a few boulders. Should be fun.
Five miles of the race are on sweet single track trail.
There should be an aid station right along here--about 2 miles into the race.
You need to watch your step. Just when you think the trail has smoothed out, beware. There are plenty of rocks to trip you up.
This is not a super hilly course, but there are a few short ups and downs.
You have to duck under a tree here and there--all the makings of a great trail run.
My camera was set on the "sunset" setting which enhances the colors of the setting sun. It's kind of a way to cheat in getting awesome sunset pics. Sometimes I leave it on that setting, and doing so seems to boost the greens in the leaves. This picture, I took it off. I had just ran out of a dense section of tree cover, and this picture was shot facing the northwest. The excessive light from the sun seemed to darken the subject of my picture, and I thought this would not even show up, but it did. This huge electrical tower has shown up in a few blog posts in years past.
Be sure to stop to admire the lazy Arkansas River as you pass.
A short rocky uphill....
....and then a long gradual downhill. The last mile of the trail is fairly tame, and you can push it without worrying as much about tripping on rocks. You'll end up back on the parking lot where you can grab something to drink and a quick snack before hitting the next 5.3 miles which is on old HW 51--an old abandoned asphalt road under a canopy of trees along the banks of the Arkansas River. Look out for eagles along the way as this is a sanctuary for these magnificent birds.

It was dark by the time I made it back to the parking lot, so the pics of the road portion of the race will be in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment