Monday, April 11, 2011

Three chapters of a weekend




CHAPTER ONE

It was a busy couple of days this past weekend. Saturday, when I would have also liked to have slept in, I was up before dawn to hook up with a friend (Stormy) and head to Muskogee to run a road 15K--the Muskogee Run. This race is put on by a friend and fellow ultra-runner Joel Everett, who is also the RD for Do-Wacka-Do, a race that I hope to be able to do one of these days.We made it to Muskogee in plenty of time and the day seemed perfect for a spirited road run. Here, we mingle at the starting line, which curiously said FINISH. (Actually, I believe this was the finish for the 5K.) Our race started off on time, and we wound our way through downtown Muskogee, and eventually spilled onto a rails-to-trail route.This paved bike path took us on a 6 mile loop to the west side of town, and then veered north before we made our way to the finish line via neighborhood streets. I had started off at a moderate pace and found myself near the back of the pack, but I kept my pace and eventually started picking people off. Not treating this as a race per se, I wanted to just see where I ended up while running even splits.One section of the bike path ran through a swampy area, and this guy was sunning himself on the trail. I helped him off the trail so he wouldn't scare the pee out of anyone. It got pretty hot before I finished my race. I did not have any electrolytes with me, and I could have used them. My hammies both started cramping, and I knew I could have used a pinch of salt. There was water only until the last couple of water stops, and even then, the Gatorade was pretty weak, but at least it was cold.At the 13K mark, I came to an intersection where there was a race helper directing traffic. He told me I was almost there as I headed straight across the street. I ran about two blocks, and the road turned to the north, and after three more blocks, I ran into a highway. There were no signs there, and I knew I had either missed a turn or the course marshall dude had sent me the wrong way. I retraced my steps, and when I reached the guy, I asked him why he let me go that way. His reply was that he pointed the direction I needed to go, but to me it looked like he had his hand out to stop a car that was wanting to turn. He could at least hollered that I was going the wrong way. I burned about 13 minutes on this detour, which was a bit discouraging, but as I said, I was not really racing. Turns out, I would have finished 2nd in my age group, but I still finished 3rd. First in my age group would have gotten me a potted azalea, and would have also been an impossible PR.


CHAPTER TWO

After the race, Brian joined Stormy and I and we headed to Pumpkin Holler. The plan was to drive the course and carefully Garmin the distance and elevation.This map is posted at the Nickel Nature Preserve, and the red loop is almost exactly the Pumpkin Holler course. The red line is the road we use. The race starts at the Eagle Bluff campground, and we'll run the loop clockwise. At the top of the loop after veering away from the river, we'll take the left road at the Y and do a 1.7 mile out-and-back which makes the loop 31.1 miles. Two loops make a 100K. The 100 milers get their extra mileage out of the way at the start. From the start, they turn RIGHT instead of left when they reach the loop. Then they make a left on the red road that cuts right through the center of the loop. Their turn-around is near the Tulley Hollow intersection, about half way through the preserve. This route includes a pretty good climb--maybe the steepest on the whole course--but you get it out of the way early while every one's legs are still fresh. Again, only the 100 milers do this out-and-back. After that, they do three of the big loops and they're done. Easy, right?This old church is right at the beginning of the 50K loop.

This is around mile 5. At several places on the loop, you get to run right along the scenic Illinois River.A look back the other direction.

This is the intersection where the first aid station is. This is also where the 1.7 mile out-and-back is. You had best not miss this turn. We are thinking of having a timing mat at the turn-around.

Another aid station locale. Brian is busy with his super duper high powered camera. I would love to have one like it, but might get a hernia lifting it.

Stormy did all the driving, was right on top of the Garminning and note taking, and the next day gave us a spread sheet with every landmark imaginable on the course including every cattle guard, every water crossing, every hill summit, intersection, switchback and hair-pin turn.

The trees in the area are beginning to bud out. Come race day, the leaves should be turning. Hopefully, we'll have a technicolor show.

I liked this pic. It seems fitting that a TATUR window sticker should have some dirt to go with it.

Finish the Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd, and you can put this sticker on your bumper.

After driving the course, Stormy and I checked out some actual trails inside the nature preserve for a future TOTs run. (see post below)


CHAPTER THREE

The next day was the weekly TOT run. This time, we met at the westside YMCA. (A side note--the YMCA now wants to be called the Y. I can't wait to hear the new song by the Village Person.)
Team Speed listens and patiently waits for the word to GO.

Team Corgi also listens to a rambling Brian. There was a lot of extra directions this morning as this was a special TOTs run. The Y is wanting to start a program for small tots to learn trail running.

I had a little fun teasing Trail Goat and Thing 2 about being little tots. They are actually seasoned trail runners, and ultra runners to boot. They led my group with me in tow.


There were several 4-legged TOTs this morning. Tim's dog is so well behaved as he endures Brian and Stormy talk and talk and talk....

Another couple of speedy canines--Cash, and I don't remember the other one's name.

We had 8 little tot runners. A couple of folks from the Y along with a couple of regular TOTs led a caravan out to the powerline trail and back--about a two mile round trip.

Brian took some pics of the little runners, and it looked like they had a good time.

My group toured the burn area, and if you remember, we have a different name every week. This week, we were the "Kick-Ash Runners."We ended up with about 4.6 miles, and after the day before, I had just enough legs to make the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment