Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hope Rains 5K

It's 10:36 am, and I am already back home from the Hope Rains 5K trail run held at Holland Hall's cross country course. I had run on this course once a couple of years ago. I was spotted by some security guards, and was pursued, but managed to run just fast enough to elude them, hop in my truck and get away. I think they had too many Krispy Kremes in their diet to catch a plodding runner like me. So at least today, I was somewhat familiar with the course.

This morning it was 49 degrees with a steady breeze, but it was a great day for running. Apparently, a hundred or so other people agreed with me, as there was a pretty good turn-out for this race.
Bobby and Susan are back for more after running the OKC 1/2 marathon last week.
Several Tatur and RunnersWorld runners competed in the race today. Can you see the energy in these five, just rarin' and tearin' to go?Marilyn (in pink), aka the Devine Miss M, ran her first-ever trail run today, and should get the trail newbie award in my books. WTG Marilyn!!! Caroline, (in the center) ran today, AFTER doing her long run at 6:00 this morning. Teresa, (2nd from left) has just signed up for her 2nd year at El Scorcho, a 50K in Ft Worth in July.

Allen, who ran his first trail run back in March at the 6 Hour Long Snake Run, was back today for more. Allen was wearing a brand spanking pair of Brooks Cascadias bought from Runner's World (my favorite trail shoe, and my favorite running store!)Check out the guy behind Allen. I think he was sizing him up before the race. No need to worry dude.... I don't think Allen's in your age group.

Tatur Dave looks focused, ready to put a spankin' on this course.


After a few last minute course directions from MC Trani Matthews, we were off.











The race started out running us around the perimeter of the baseball fields, before we tucked into the woods for a couple of miles of nice single-track, and a few hills.I ran pretty hard, passing a few runners here and there. The uphills were short and steep, and the downhills were longer and more gradual. I was able to pass quite a few runners on the downhills, but I was a little slower on the uphills, I disguised my periods of resting and sucking air by stopping to take pictures. Wonder if I fooled anybody?The hardest part of the race was when we popped out of the woods and ran 300 yards along 81st street, uphill, into a wind, and in waterlogged thick grass....not muddy, but extra soft, kind of like running in loose sand. Sorry, I was working too hard to take a picture, and it was not too pretty anyway.

Then, it was back into the woods, up a nice hill, and then some winding dirt trails....my fave.Soon after that, we shot out of the woods, ran across a field, and onto the high school track. I crossed the finish line in 28:54. I was shooting for under 30 minutes, so I was happy :) 4th in my age group, and middle-of-the-pack overall: right where I belong.

I ambled back aways to cheer my friends on. Everyone seemed to enjoy their race and pushed the pace at the end.

Cindy out sprints Roman to the finish line.
Allen leads Deon by a nose!
Joye and Candice make it look easy gliding their way to the finish.
After the race, we were treated to hamburgers and STEAK courtesy of Outback Steakhouse. (Why do I love running?)
Bobby tears up his 3rd hamburger. 3 miles, 3 burgers... what's the problem?
The Tatur/RunnersWorld men ran honorably, with Tatur Dave and I placing 4th in our age groups, but the women ruled today. Kathy won her age group, Cindy won hers, and Joye, who had not ran for a month or so and signed up this morning on a whim, took 3rd in her age group. 
And the heck with gold, silver, and bronze metals. The winners today received CUPCAKES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment