Thursday, March 8, 2012

Combs Bridge




A year or so ago, when I was just starting to put the details together on the Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd, I spoke to a county commissioner over the area. He gave us his blessing, but said something about a new bridge being built just down-river from the old iron bridge near the start/finish at Eagle Bluff Resort.This old bridge has charm--adds to the spirit of the Illinois, and our race. Everyone with a camera at the race has taken pictures of it. Crossing the bridge at the beginning is an experience like no other.The plans are for the bridge (aka Combs Bridge) to be dismantled and removed. I, for one, think this would be a tragedy.Ray Cook, a supporter of our Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd, forwarded me a thread of email discussing the possibility of saving the this icon as a pedestrian bridge. According to Ray,

"I've been in contact with the Historic Bridge Foundation, but have not received a reply. The bridge is on the National Historic Inventory, but there needs to be a 501(c)3 in place if the bridge is to be saved."

I think this is an awesome idea, and will do whatever I can do to help make that happen.
Bridges like these are an endangered species. At least one bridge like this per week is torn down in the US.I am thinking we'll need petitions signed, letters written, and possibly some financial help to save this bridge. A certain amount of upkeep would be necessary, but in my way of thinking, the upkeep surely would be less in cost than demolishing the structure. Wouldn't it?Comment here, email me at trailzombie@yahoo.com, or Facebook me. I'll try to rally the troops. I can forward the email chain, which has a few addresses of people who are decision makers in this matter. From what I have read, no one is adamantly in favor of tearing the bridge down. Keeping it as a pedestrian bridge will require people who are willing to maintain the upkeep and basic bridge responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment