Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tapering, fun, and anticipation.




All the baddish runs I had last week--well actually since the Midnight Madness 50 miler--are OVER!! While I have not ran long, I have been putting in 4-6 miles almost every day. Maybe I needed a little rest. maybe tapering is not a bad thing. Tonight, Dana and I ran 4 miles on our beloved Turkey Mountain. We took it easy--she had been to a spin class earlier in the day and was smarting a little from that. Had I joined her in the chamber or torture-bikes, I would have not been able to run on the trails, or at least I would have struggled to do so. But this evening, I felt like Superman. It could be the fact that I had an extra helping of sauteed rice just before running. Maybe I am just ready.We basically ran the yellow trail. We always stop for a gander at this overlook. Good place to hydrate. It was not at all a non-stop run.
We stopped to get a pic or two.
Either my iPhone just takes sucky picks, or maybe it was fogged from being in my sweaty pocket.
My Olympus has been less than reliable as well.
I may be adding another camera in a few weeks...maybe before the trip.
The good side though--blurry pix do not show wrinkles.

Dana got in on the goofy poses. It would appear she was participating in the Wave. I really have no other explanation.We leave in a week for South Dakota, and another go at the Lean Horse 100.

It was my 1st 100. I was the next to the last finisher, finishing only 19 minutes under the cut-off. This year, I am not quite as prepared as I wished, but I am confident of a finish. Something within the time limits would be ok, but secretly, I want to PR, which would require a 23:19 or better. This is a good course to do just that. But lots of things can happen. We shall see.This is a section that we will see at about mile 20. The course is beautiful, going across the prairie, and through a couple of granite canyons, and alongside small mountains or huge hills. One particular granite mountain had the likeness of Crazy Horse carved into the southern side. It is huge, and awesome. We plan to revisit the monument before the race, and will post lotsa pics and such.

Fellow Taturs Kathy, Roman, Caroline, Susan, and Charlotte are making the trip. Kathy and I will slug it out for another finish. (I have 6 finishes to her 5, and we are both coming off settling for 100K at Kettle, and both have a nasty DNF before that.) Roman has 3-50 milers under his belt all in the past year. Caroline and Susan both have 2-50 milers in the past year. Charlotte has at least one 50 miler to her credit, and as always, has trained with a passion. Crew Babes Dana and Brian will be catering to our every need at the appointed crew spots. We'll be in good hands. I plan to have sauteed rice as fuel in this race. Might just be the magic food.
Why run 100 miles? Strangely enough, and in a sick sort of way, it is fun. Even though at times, it feels like death, it also makes me feel so full of life. But most of all, it's for the bling. I'll have a better pic of the coveted belt buckle in about 11 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment