Thursday, August 26, 2010

A day of solid playtime




We started the day with a good breakfast and then headed out for some trail running. Winding through the Black Hills and Custer National Forest was fun. We were temporarily delayed by s buffalo crossing
Dana had to get a picture of this dropping!!
The winding narrow roads through Custer National Forest took us by a lot of strange rock formations. Reminded me of GardenOfTheGods.
We were headed to Sylvan Lake--I had heard there were some great trails there with a loop to Harney Peak.
But since this would have involved 4 miles of climbing over 2000 feet and since I should be taking it EASY, we took a shorter loop. 
The smaller loop to the left looked to be maybe 3 miles. It turned out to be 4. 
After a moderate trek along the lakeshore, I decided a trail leading down this crevice looked inviting. It went down down down. Hand rails were very helpful. 
Dana was a good sport...for a while. The going was tough. She wondered if we were gonna have to climb back out, and if this was actually a loop. (I wondered that too, but did not admit it.)
There were some awesome views to go with the insanely difficult trails. Eventually we got through the boulder scrambling and were treated to some great single track.
Because of the blue markers and because the winding highway that sounded like it wrapped around the canyon we were in, I was now sure this was a loop trail and most likely the one on the map. I thought it probably led to a lake or a waterfall, but after about 2 miles it turned back south, and at an unexciting section. We began a long climb. 
There were several switchbacks, a few roots, but no big boulders or hand rails on the way back up.
We were really hoping this was the last climb. I was sure we had climbed enough to actually be way above the lake. We topped this climb only to have to descend and then climb some more.


 Dana is ready to be through. So was I. 
But finally we topped another hill and saw the lake. I ended up seeming like a navigational genius (which I am.) 
We had an easy jog around the small lake to where we started. Four miles on the nose. A lot more climbing than I should have done. As much fun as I have had on trails in a long time.BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment