Monday, August 9, 2010



So technically, I guess I can say I am in taper mode. I have slipped into this mode a little sooner than I would have liked to though. My past several runs have been slower and slightly more lifeless than they should be, but nonetheless I have got them done.

Saturday morning, I had the pleasure of running again with Chuck, my middle son. Our 5K is one week away, and he is excited. I am excited too--for him.Our first 4 miles were at a good pace--10 minutes--maybe a little better. We were up with the faster RW runners. Chuck had parked his truck 4 miles out and was gonna leave from there. But, he left his truck keys back where we started in my Jeep. So--he got a nice 8 miler in. We ran much slower, and did quite a bit of walking. It was warm and humid, and since 4 miles was his longest run to date, I thought it best for him to take it easy. Actually, I was out of gas.

Fast forward to Saturday evening. My plan was to run 24 miles, which combined with my 8 miles that morning would give me 2 for the day.I had company. Jason and Lisa, Tom, Bobby, Roman, Kathy, Charlotte, Caroline, and Susan were joining in for as many miles as we could string together around the river and into west Tulsa.Roman and Kathy, as well as Caroline, Susan, Charlotte and I are meeting in Hot Springs, South Dakota in 3 weeks to run the Lean Horse 100. Kathy and I will be slugging it out for another finish to our totals. TZ ---> 6 finishes. Kathy ---> 5 finishes. Both of us are coming off DNFs and have something to prove. The rest of the gang are doing their 1st 100 miler. We will have fun. And I bet we bring home half a dozen belt buckles.we ran at a leisurely pace and for 7 miles, I felt fine. But then the nagging fatigue set in--this time with a bout of nausea. I felt at any time I might hurl. I had taken my electrolytes and salt, and that probably kept me from paving the street, but I just was not doing all that great. After resting for 5 minutes at our first aid station at the Gulleys, I decided to work on my run/walk system with Sandra, who joined us for 4 miles--but I could not keep up. I did walk at about a 17 minute mile pace for 4 more miles, and retired at that point. Big time thanks to the Gulley family and to Bobby and Susan for having aid stops in their driveways. And apologies to my running buddies for not being much fun to be around.

I got home at 10ish, showered, and slept for a good 12 hours. Then I went running again. This time, Dana and I went to the trails on Turkey Mountain. The plan was to go slow, and walk as much as we wanted. It was hot hot hot. 101, but 111 heat index--and no wind. We picked the shadiest trails, and just slogged through it. I never felt like Superman, but nausea never was a problem.We finished drenched, and zapped. But I still felt like it was a good effort. I went the distance, and the pace would have been enough to make the cut at a hundred miler.

This evening, we got on the bikes and rode. Not hard, just steady. We rode 16 miles on the paved bike trails around the Arkansas River from our house to 11th street and back on the east bank. I worked on keeping a steady cadence, and got a decent workout. I felt great, and am anxious to get another medium length run in. I hope this minor little bug I have been fighting is GONE. My Achilles tendon issues are still a concern, but I am seeing Cynthia the Torture Princess tomorrow, and she will push all those aches right up my calves and out my knee caps. There will be much screaming.

Next up: The Riverside 5000, a road 5K which I intend to just amble.

No comments:

Post a Comment