Thursday, August 5, 2010

a rare BAD run




Just words this evening--no pics. I really have been in a picture taking slump of late. I need to fix that.

This evening, I had one of the worst runs I have ever had. I ran with the RW gang, which is always fun. I ran all the way with my buddy Tom, again, which is always a treat. But I felt like the running dead--like a zombie I suppose, but it was painful and not fun at all. Oh, the company was great, and without my friends, I would have bagged the run at 2 miles.

Tom and I ran the first 3 miles at a warm-up pace--maybe 10 minute miles or a little slower. We stopped at Elwood's on the River at 3 miles out and had a nice cold one--good carbs, right? I really felt the need to burp BIG upon heading back to the store, and actually thought I might hurl. No, it was not as bad as you might be thinking--I burped a few times and all was better. But I was only able to slog along for a half mile at a time before needing to take a walk break. My legs felt dead and my body seemed to scream STOP!!! It was awesome of Tom to hang back with me though. We usually finish our midweek runs like a couple of race horses--old race horses that is.

This evening, instead of 106 degrees, the temps were in the low 90s, and there was a nice breeze out of the north. A dump north of town had caught fire earlier in the morning and burned all day. The stench from the flames was drifting southward, and occasionally we would get a sniff of burning trash. Maybe that had something to do with my bad run.

I have had a mild headache for the past few days--not so bad that I have taken meds, but enough to be annoying. No, it's not sinus issues. Another thing, I have just not felt like eating like I normally do. (That should be a good thing.) This morning, I had a peach for breakfast, and a WW dinner for lunch--about 250 calories. I had a McD's grilled chicken snack wrap about 4:30, and drank 2 bottles of water and a diet coke during the day. Maybe not enough food in the tank for a 6 mile run?? Maybe.

Since the Home and Garden Show last weekend where I stood on concrete in street shoes for 3 days, my Achilles tendons in both ankles have been sore. I have never had probs with this before, although they did not bother me when I ran at all.

I have been busy at work, and have not been getting in the runs that I need to be doing. Each morning, instead of bouncing out of bed at 6:00, I have been snoozing. Feels so good to sleep.

I have myself wondering if I can finish the 100 miler at Lean Horse in 3 weeks. What if my run starts out as awful as the run did today?? What will I do? Chug 5 hour energy drinks and pray? Maybe....

Tomorrow morning though, I will be up at the butt crack of 6:00 and will hit the trails for 5+ miles--not fast, but will see if I can find a decent tempo that feels good. I really need a good run!

No comments:

Post a Comment