Tuesday, January 27, 2009

T Z got his run in!!!




Normally on Monday nights, I meet some of my RunnersWorld friends and run 4.4 miles around Zink Lake on the paved bike trails. But the general chatter was of how crazy that would be what with the pending ice storm hitting Tulsa.

Bobby's email: "Stay home. I just drove home and it is getting slick. Parking lots and sidewalks are slick so the river path will be too slick to run on. Good night to run on the treadmill, ride your stationary bike or just take the night off."

Tatur Dave's input: "I recommend against it. I ran at noon, and the run was okay at first, but I was coated with ice by the end of my run. The roads were so slick I really had to be careful for about the last half mile. Tonight would be a good evening to stay inside. Do a treadmill or a stationary bike, if you have one. Or do some other indoor cross training. Or rest. Don't be foolish."

In a comment to Sandra's blog, Tatur Dave reemphasized his opinion of winter running: "I hope nobody is foolish enough to try to run this evening."

Well, I am sure you know where this is going. About 5:15 I put on a bunch of warmies and trotted down the road to Turkey Mountain for some twilight ice running.I of course took my camera and my flex-tri-pod and managed to get a few interesting photos. The above photo was not really one of the interesting ones; it falls more into the dorky category.

The overlook on the Ho-chi-mihn. This is always a good place to stop for a short rest, a drink of water, or a picnic. I have been here for a few sunrises, but never have seen the view on a night like this.

A completely untouched photo. while I do tweak pics from time to time, this one had such a surreal look that I left it as is. Looks more like a moonscape, with trees.

Then it was onward, heading north on the frozen tundra!

Another shot across the Arkansas River.

A lot of slipping and sliding later, I finally made it to the end of the mountain and checked out the Tulsa skyline. The skyscrapers of downtown were enveloped by the low ceilings.

The larger drops of rain were picked up in the flash, and while this is normally annoying, I'll just call this a photo-documentation of an inter-planetary alien invasion.

The ground by now had frozen solid, with about 1/4 inch of ice on all the rocks and roots. My 12 minute mile pace had deteriorated to a nice fat 20 minute mile pace due in part to picture taking, but also to a little exercised caution on the ice. I ran back on the upper yellow trail since it was relatively flat and the moon-sized rocks were fewer and farther between.

One more shot of the Tulsa Lights. I had a little better luck with the night pics since I used the tripod and was able to keep the camera stable for the longer exposures.

A gray house for a gray bird on a gray night.

Total mileage for the evening: 4.3 miles in 1:52. (A good reason to turn on the auto-pause on my Garmin!)

No comments:

Post a Comment