Sunday, January 4, 2009



For a change of scenery, I went to Chandler Park just west of Tulsa today to check out some trails. I had been there once about 4 years ago, and at that time, there were not really many great trails, but it was a great place to take a stolen car to strip it. There are also a lot of H U G E boulders where people rappel, face climb, and boulder hop. I was all excited to see a trail running right through the boulder area, but it was very short (.3 miles) and extremely technical and not runable at all. Still, it was a cool hike.
This area is also a place where a little beer is consumed. I'm thinking rappelling, boulder hopping, and beer? Hmmm....

Then I made my way over behind the softball diamonds and thee are 5-6 square miles of undeveloped land, where there are some old jeep roads, and to my surprise, some new trails.These trails were apparently cut by 4-wheelers and/or dirt bikes, and were wider than your typical single track, but were nice and runner friendly all the same.I followed the dirt trails as they wound around and spilled into a small stream.After yesterday, I think every trail run needs at least a couple of water crossings.Then a short climb or two. There were a lot of roots, like Sunmart, and a few areas with a lot of rocks, like Turkey Mountain.Out of the lowland, and on to the prairie. My shadow was getting long, and the north wind was kicking up. Time to head back to the car.For future reference, a good place to water the dogs.The trail across the grassland was more of a jeep road. Sun will be setting soon!I knew I would make it back in time, but was beginning to wonder if I should have brought a headlamp.Definitely a place I'll run again!

No comments:

Post a Comment