Monday, January 5, 2009

Athens/Big Fork !#*!!@#%*!!

The first weekend of every year, I make a journey to Arkansas to run the Athens/Big Fork trail Marathon. this is the hardest race i have ever done. I have been there for 6 years now, and i have a grand total of 3 finishes. You do have an option of doing the 17 mile fun run, which is a good 5 hour undertaking at best for me. This year I was hell bent on getting another marathon finish out of this mountainous course. Mountains are the item of the day. On this trail, you run 2.6 miles out on a little pavement and gravel roads, and then cover 10.1 miles on single track trail over 8 mountains, and then turn around and come back. 16 major climbs and quad crushing descents. Sound like fun?

The race starts and finishes in the little community of Big Fork. The trail once was an old postal trail where mail was carried by mule from Athens to Big Fork. These very small towns are 40 miles apart by highway, and 10 miles apart as the crow flies. Since mules can't fly, the trail from here to there is around 13.1 miles....just perfect for a race!!!!Special thanks to the Big Fork Community Center for letting us use their facility.

The potty line is always a popular place.

The sign up line. Tom Brennan looks a little sleepy, but I had no doubt he would win this race again. (Of course he did.)

Winner of Taturs "Most Beat Up Feet" award, Arnold looks primed and ready to tackle the worlds toughest marathon.

OMG Vicky! Are you ever in for a treat!!!!! (I figured this course would whup her hiney!)

Rob, a major detail-oriented runner, tends to the last of 50 things on his pre-race checklist.

We all scrunched in for a group photo, which came in handy later in the race when a runner was missing. Someone remembered he had a red shirt, and we zoomed in on our cameras and at least figured out who he was. I hope he is not still out there!

After lining up in the middle of the road, and a nonchalant GO, we were off. The 1st 3/4 mile is on pavement, and then it's all dirt and rocks from there.

And quickly out of sight. I settled into the very back of the pack, sort of warming up as I went. I did manage to pass about 9 people in the next 9-10 miles.

Onto the single track and into the tall trees. Let the climbing begin!

A look back down the hill. Pete Ireland is hot on my trail.

Recent trail maintenance. I will say that most of the trail was way better than last year. There were a few blow-downs to jump over, but it was passable.

Climbing at a blazing speed of 19:30 mins per mile!

Very foggy at the mountain tops.

Climbing the 4th or 5th mountain, I met Diane and Jim Sweatt, who run every trail race in Arkansas.

The Blaylock Creek aid station....
manned by aid station extraordinaire Charlie Peyton.

The clouds and fog started to thin around 11:30. The sun began to peek out occasionally, and the temps jumped up into the low 70s....a little warm.

More downhill running.

More tall leaning trees. Pictures just do not capture how steep the sides of these mountains are.

It was just after this that on a rare flat section, I kicked a rock and made 3 long lunging recovery strides, and managed to not fall in a bed of rocks. I did over extend a knee, and I got a muscle in my lower back to twinging. The next climb was slower, like they weren't all getting slower anyway, and the following downhill, I was not able to run at all. The 4-6 people that I had passed all passed me in the last 1.5 miles. Things were deteriorating rapidly.

The turnaround aid station...and it did indeed look like a blur to me. First off, I was without my glasses. Second, my back was twinging, my knee hurt, and I was hot. Sound like I'm complaining a lot? I was. I dropped at this point, and found a ride back to the Tatur aid station and helped Brian for the rest of the day. I am not really disappointed....well maybe a little. There was just no way I could have made it back over 8 mountains before dark. It was best to drop.

I did get to see my friends come through, and got a few pictures while helping Brian.

Fellow Tulsan Tim Whiteside got off course for just a short section, and paid his dues for his error.

Marvin, always the strong runner, cruises through the Tatur aid station on his way to the house.

Arnold was actually way ahead a lot of people, but got in a few bonus miles. Seems that was a common theme this year!
Arnold is always stylin!

The darnedest thing was that I just KNEW Rob and Vicky would be moaning and groaning about how hard this was, and never again....the usual grumblings everyone has after their first taste of this trail, especially since they got a couple of accidental extra miles in theirself....but NOOO!! They were all happy and bubbly and giggly about how much fun it was and they could not wait til next year when they could go out on this trail again! HMMPH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment