Thursday, January 1, 2009

Plunge of the Polar Bear 2009




New year's Day, every year, it's a tradition. A bunch of crazies show up at the banks of the Arkansas River and take a mid-winter dip. Invigorating? Yes. F-f-f-freezing? OMG! YESSS! Definitely stupid? Well,...err....maybe.My good friend, Brian, the "Dic"Tatur usually wins the award for Whiniest Polar Bear, and today despite temps in the mid 50s, still did his share of belly-aching about the c-c-cold water. But alas, he did not win his usual prize.

Two years ago, only about 20 braves souls tested the frigid waters of the muddy Arkansas. Last year, we had a 50% increase to around 30 dunkers. But this year,we had over 100 people of all ages, shapes, sizes, and genders. Here, tall and lanky Jason, a recent Marathon Maniac, prepares for his first PBP. Jason had came in a red glitter thong. I had agreed to pay him $10 to NOT wear it, and Kathy upped the ante to $20 if he DID wear it. Fortunately for all, he decided that it might scar children to see his bony buttocks. He did borrow his Grandma's wig, which accounts for the only hair ever recorded on his chest!

I have always thought Tomdog was one of the "whitest" men I have ever known, but today, he appears quite bronzed in comparison to yours truly. I must say though, his aftershave smells nice.

Now yes, I do enjoy occasionally sporting women's swimwear. But lest you think I am the only crazy one, I submit the following for your consideration.Darryl, aka Deruny, had a nice 2-piece, and a wig which was a little tamer than his normal hairstyle. He won the prize for best costume. (bitch!)

Did not get this person's name. He could have been going as a baby boy, or a baby girl. Thank God for really good diaper pins!

And one real live polar bear, who growled when I squeezed it.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am quite competitive, and it was quite upsetting when I saw someone else WEARING ALMOST THE SAME SWIMSUIT I WAS WEARING!!Really, who does this swimsuit more justice??? Her??? or ME?This furry bod did net me the Furriest Polar bear for the 2nd time in 3 years!

A great time was had by all. Almost too bad we have to wait til next year to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment