Thursday, October 25, 2007

Massacre at Turkey Mountain




Back from my run, and Chinese carbo- loading. I came upon a tragedy on the hill. Two large mechanical tree- eating dinosaurs were mutilating trees along Lip-buster and the power line trail. I understand the need for tree trimming when limbs and branches crowd the power lines. I have no problem with carefully and responsibly under these circumstances. But what happened on the hill was ridiculous. Trees that were only 30 feet tall were cut back because they were in the same zip code as 75 foot electrical lines. And no trees along the edge of the woods were spared. It was like going to the barber shop and telling the barber to just buzz it. Some large trees were cut completely down, others had all their branches lopped off leaving only the trunk, others had all of the western sides slashed off. All of the brush was left piled up, covering a few of the trail heads, although the workers said the brush would be cleaned up. The mowed trail cut from the bottom of Lip-buster is now a double track. And, lots of trees were hacked down at the main bottom parking lot.

I am not a tree hugger, but I still ache for these trees. Most of the ones hacked up will die. I now understand what the "STOP THE CHOP" movement was all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment