Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lake Bixhoma

It was another postcard perfect day in our area. I suppose we could use some rain, but I'm ok without it--for now. You just can't use the excuse of bad weather to not get out and run, bike, or whatever you do to get yourself going. We decided to take out labs out for a run today. I usually take them to Turkey Mountain, but I have been wanting to take Dana to Lake Bixhoma as "I" think it's an awesome place to run and take pictures!Rocky is excited to make a road trip. Both he and Jake were perhaps a little too excited--just like a couple of bratty kids. "Are we there yet?? Can I ride in the front seat with you?? Will you hold me?? Mom, I need a kiss!!!"This seemed like a good outing for the boys. They could swim at will, and a jaunt around the gravel and dirt roads circling the lake was about what their long run should be.

Like I said, perhaps they were a little too excited. I usually let Rocky off leash, but dana was a little nervous about doing that, so she had the added benefit of Rocky pulling her up the hills, and a little resistance training for her arms. Double Rainbow!
After swim number two, I gave Dana the camera so me and the boys could have a group picture.The roads do not completely circle the lake--I think that might be a good trail project someday--if the right people could get permission. From where we parked, we had a .6 mile out, and then back to our jeep, and then we headed back around to the other side of the lake.
Somewhere along here on a slight downhill, and with an overexcited and slightly misbehaving Jake in overdrive, I rolled my gimpy ankle. Not a bad thing, but enough to remind me to be careful. (I do have a race next weekend!)
The south side of the lake is a lot more secluded. There is an iron gate barracading the way, and the unused gravel road leads around to an old abandaned camp ground.
The leaves in the area were better than what we saw yesterday, but hey--it's been dry here.I love running here. Gravel is not my favorite surface, but it's not that bad. I just wish there was more mileage. I suppose I could do a few laps, or do like I did a couple of years ago--go bushwhacking!!
Dana and Rocky pick up the pace for a while.
I would like to take the T-Tots here on a field trip some weekend. Osage State Park would be another good road trip as well. This area, with picnic tables and the fact that it's only 30 minutes away, would be a great place to have a cookout after the run. Any takers??

No comments:

Post a Comment