Thursday, November 11, 2010



It's the night before the day before. Should be time to be sleeping but I'm wired. It's 12:04 am and in 33 hours, I'll be starting in Baxter Springs, Kansas and running on old Route 66 for 100.3 miles to Catoosa and finishing my race in the high school football field.Most of the way is on old concrete--so much so that asphalt will end up being my friend. We'll run through several small towns along the way. If this event takes a cue from the Mother Road Marathon I ran last month, we'll have a little fan support. Crew babe Dana will be in her element, running sag every 3-5 miles. Could not even think of trying something like this without her. I am blessed with friends--friends who like to run! I have Arena, Deborah, Amanda, Jessica, Bobby, and speedster Tom pacing me varying distances. They'll leave me no time to feel sorry for myself. Arena promises to catch me up on her engagement and give me the dirt on her fiancee. Jessica will catch me up on how her mission trip went last summer and how her last martial arts meet went. Amanda is supposed to sing, Deborah is the joke teller (ok, I'm drafting her to tell jokes), Bobby is wearing a tutu, and Tom will wear his Village People getup and frighten me to run hard to the finish line. Tom has the work horse section, running with me from mile 78 to the stadium and hopefully a plentiful supply of pancakes and bacon. At mile 78 there is an oasis in the night--the TATUR aid station in Foyil, OK. As always, it promises to be the best aid station on the planet.My friends Kathy, Roman, Ken aka K2, Caroline, Charlotte, Randy, Arnold, Stormy, and Steve will be out there. Randy no doubt has a 21 hour race in him--maybe faster. Kathy has to be thinking about her 2nd place finish in the last Mother Road, and another PR. Others are looking for their first finish. Me, I just want any kind of a finish. This race may decide for me whether or not I'll go 100 miles again. I'm happy, ready, and antsy. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment