Thursday, January 31, 2013

Places you've never seen on Turkey Mountain




I have known of this place for a few years.
It's hard to get to. Briers are thick, and treefall is everywhere. If it's not the ice storm, high winds, or tornadoes, these trees just fall oover from old age.

T here are several old sheds in a place not far at all from a trail that is ridden and ran a lot. But these ruins have gone undisturbed and unexplored.

Who do they belong to? And are there stories behind them--waiting to be told?

Was this an old home at one time? Or out-buildings belonging to a nearby homestead?

I think they were used for pigs, goats, or sheep. Notice the low roofs. There are 4 or 5 different structures within a 50 yard area. I'm still doing research.

My story of the old homestead I mentioned yesterday is still in the works. I am getting some conflicting information, but will get to the bottom of it soon. By this weekend, I'll have news to tell.

Just when I think I have seen everything there is to see on Turkey, I found something new. There are some new trailz showing up here and there, that a genius of a mt biker has cut. These loops in and around Rock City are winding twisting single track, and fun to run. I plan on taking the Sunday TOTs on a tour of places they have never been. Too bad a lot of them are at Rocky Raccoon.They'll be having their own fun while we have ours. :-)
This is paradise is on Turkey Mountain. Oh yes it is!!!

While tromping around with Jake, I found this bluff with nice deep water at the base. It looked good enough to swim in, but I passed. Jake plowed right in though--swam around, and said the water was fine.

Maybe this summer, we'll take dares to jump off the bluffs. Umm--maybe not. This place is awesome, and there NEEDS to be some trailz cut to get there. It would not be all that hard to do.

Come run with the TOTs this Sunday at 7:30 and we'll check it out.

A final story--and yes I know--I do tell some slightly stretched stories from time to time, but this is true. I popped out on the north end of the mountain and intended to take the upper yellow trail back. It was almost dark, and I noticed two people over by the wooden kiosk by the Spider, looking at the map. Lauren and Taylor from Glenpool were out for their first outing on Turkey and had chosen the Yellow trail. They had a small dog--a Schnauzer I think. I asked them if they were lost, and they giggled and said they were. They needed to get to the parking lot, which was fully two miles away. I told them of a way they could get down to the lower paved trail, but that involved going down the steepest most treacherous hill on Turkey, and it was no doubt muddy--so I thought it would be best if they followed me out. I walked the two miles back to the parking lot on the upper yellow, taking a shortcut or two to get them out a little sooner. I loaned them my headlamp, as I can actually run in the dark. There were no cars in the parking lot other than theirs--even the mountain bikers had packed it in. A strong north wind brought the temps down to 32° and the windchill a lot lower, and two miles of stumbling around in the dark would have been bad. I was in the right place at the right time, and was so glad to help. Taylor and Lauren--if you read this--come out and join the TATUR group on Sunday mornings at 7:30 or Tuesday evenings at 6:30 for some trail running.

No comments:

Post a Comment