Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hope Rains




It was a short run today. Dana and I ran the Hope Rains 5K Trail Run. I have done this race every year, and this is the 4th running of it. Yes, I do run 5Ks occasionally, and this one is catered by Outback Steakhouse, which means super good post race food!!!
As I said, Dana ran today. This was her first year because nearly every year prior, she has had to work. Pat joined us--the same Pat who says he really doesn't like running on trailz. (I think he likes it a lot more than he lets on.)

Also running was the trio of Mark, Trail Goat, and Thing 2 (aka Dad and two FAST guys!)

Kathy has also made every Hope Rains run. We both love these trailz. Karen (the tall one) was out for her first dose of this course, and Linda and Lisa (in the pink) were back for a second helping.

It was cool to hang out with Lisa. We miss her since she spends all her time relentlessly training for Desert Rats. Lisa ran 7 miles before the 5K, and then ran another 10 miles after the race. A normal day for her. Roman is thinking about running. He did today. And well. Almost a "run til you puke" sort of run.

Somebody fired a pistol and off we ran. The course circled the perimeter of a baseball field near the edge of the woods, which allowed the throng of runners to space themselves out before hitting the single track.

I ran with my friend Ken aka K2, and Pat, who steadily built a little lead on me. (He doesn't like trailz....pish posh!)

A half mile into the race and we hit a pretty good climb. It brought Pat to a walk, and K2 and I caught up.

One Kilometer down!!!

Then the climb continued. K2 and I ran some of this hill. And I mentioned single track earlier. This was not as narrow as some of the typical trailz I run, and there was usually room to pass. This is actually Holland Hall's cross country course, where passing is part of the game.
Then we popped out of the woods and ran across another ball field. All the peeps K2 and I passed leapfrogged right by us. The lesson to be learned--two old guys who run trailz can out pace a young whippersnapper by wisdom, but lose unmercifully when the going is easy.

Two Kilometers down.

This is a Kodak moment. This old wood bridge defines this course. I will come back every year just to take this picture. This year, my buddy K2 happened to be trotting across in my photo.

We hit an aid stop, I gulped some water and grumbled briefly about all the paper cups on the ground--littler!! And waste!! These cross country kids should have to carry water bottles. Three K done.

The final two Kilometers involved another pretty good climb, and a wondrous downhill on fairy-tail trailz.

Pat had gotten a little too far out of my sight, and I picked up the pace (which really means I did not walk this hill.)

Four K. Still no Pat. He was speeding down the hill like a trail wizard. When he popped out of the woods into the hot sun and a flat area, he stopped for a walk break and I caught him.

I told him the walk break was over as we had maybe 300 yards left. His competitive nature kicked in and he ran a good pace to the finish.

Then we went back out on the course to wait for Dana to come in. I had thoughts about running back into the woods to find her, but while I was pondering that idea, she came around the corner. A group of us ran her and her Karen on in to the finish.

Tatur Dave took second in his age group, and his medal was a cupcake. Kathy also took 2nd masters and also had cake. I should be faster!!

But this is the prize I was after. Outback has never disappointed.

Finish the 5K, get an Outback Special. This year, they also had seared tuna. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment