Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Double helping of Turkey




Sunday morning, I rolled out of bed and found my way to the Turkey Mountain parking lot to run with the TOTs. It was a slightly smaller crowd, due to it being a holiday weekend, but we still ended up running 4 groups. My group had 7 runners, and we ran at an easy zombie pace. We did crash through Cat's Corgi-guided group, and had a couple of defectors join us from her contingent.The Oklahoma Rock, a national treasure. From left to right-- Jessica, Linda, Tim, Matt, Russell, and Mitch.

It was a nice morning for a run--a little warm and a little humid. The sweat glands were in top form.

A quarter mile from the end of our run, I unknowingly ran right over this trail slitherer. The second runner behind me also made it over unaware. The third yelled SNAKE, and then the whole train screeched to a halt. The copperhead was not a grumpy snake and was happy to slither off the trail and into the thicket. Not sure if we I had crunched my OBOZ size 10.5s on it's body if it would have been as docile.

Monday morning, Dana and I ran north on the bunny and yellow trail, and then took some pink and headed up Jelly Legs to Rock City. From there, we took the Snake Trail back around counter-clockwise. This was through the burn area, and you almost cannot tell it had ever burned. Everything is so green!! The leaves on the trees might have been hindered somewhat by the fire, but all is looking great.

Dana and I have had less than stellar runs, but yesterday and today, I thoroughly enjoyed my outings. They were neither fast or long, but the enjoyment factor was high.

Luv me some smooth single-track.

Well, the long weekend is over. This next Friday, we'll head to Arkansas and probably stay in Eureka Springs. Saturday morning, we'll run the Tail Twister. I plan on 50K, which will be a real test. Dana plans on either the 25K or the 8.5 miler. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment