Friday, September 24, 2010

The Night Before Race Day




I'm in Independence, KS--ready to run the FlatRock 50K for the 9th time.
 It's such a process to get ready for a race. Packing the stuff you need is nearly as important as the training. Imagine not packing your socks, or forgetting your lucky underware?!?!? I brought the entire lineup with me: from the Montrail line, 2007 Hardrocks, 2006 Vitesse, and 2010 AT Plus. I will start the Oboz Hardscrabbles with my Dean Ksrnazes insoles, and bring jn the Hardrocks from the bullpen at mile 22 is need be. There's s lot if trail running tricks I've picked up over the years. BlisterShield is a miracle powder I dump in my socks. At T&T 50K I did not even have a hot spot using it whereas I had major blister probs in my previous 2 ultras before o knew about it. Vespa (main ingredient is wasp extract) actually helps my body burn fat as fuel and you know I have plenty of that. Using Vespa, I recovered with zero aches and pains. Me thinks it works. My hybrid water bottle is a 22 oz insulated Camelback in a California Innovations sleeve. I will swap out iced down bottles every 10 miles and refill in between. SaltStick is the best electrolyte capsule I have used, and the sea salt is my emergency jump start if I get behind on my salt intake. Luv me sum Shot Bloks--Gummi Bears meet Gatorade. The 5 Hour gives me a boost. Does not make me run like the Flash but keeps me ahead of crawling moss and some of the slower snails. The jar of salve is Dana's secret recipe Sac-So-Soft. A SINGLE dip applied to the nether regions keeps the chafing away. (Not pictured Injinji Toe Socks, and nipple bandaids.) (Not pictured 50 billion TONS of ROCKS!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment