Monday, September 20, 2010

I LOVE Shoes!!!




Anyone who knows me knows I am a major shoe nerd. I own probably 20 pairs of running shoes, most of which are trail shoes. My absolute favorites the past few years have been Montrail Hardrocks, pictured below.In 2007, Montrail was bought by Columbia and the Hardrock was "updated"....which meant cheapened and ruined!!!!! Instead of being a tank, four-wheel drive for your feet, it was merely a light duty unsupporting shoe that felt like a neutral road runner with a mildly aggressive tread. I wore one pair of the new ones one time, and sent them back for a refund. Thus began my quest for a replacement shoe.

There are a lot of halfway descent trail running shoes available. I have ran in Asics Trabucos, and I like them alright, but they seem a little too limber for my liking, and a few hundred miles on rugged trails sends them into an early retirement. I tried the Saucony Xodus, and they felt like they blew out after one 50K. Brooks Cascadias weren't too bad, but they did not seem to be bomb-proof like my beloveds. Vasque Velocities were ok, LaSportiva Imogenes were ok, but the only shoe that felt like an old friend when I put them on were the Hardrocks. My last pair have a few more miles left, but a hard 50K like I have this weekend could be the last major race I could do in them. I have scanned Ebay on a regular basis, and every once in a while, I find a pair of the old models which I would buy immediately. But it has been months since I have found a pair of pre-2008 Hardrocks in size 10.5.

Browsing for a replacement has seemed futile, until I found a message board that had many comments from trail runners who also were suffering from the cruel product shift of Columbia/Montrail. One poster who had "inside information" told of Montrail's recognition of the void in the trail shoe world, and how they were releasing a "replacement" for the Hardrock: the Montrail AT Plus. The picture of the shoe looked good, and and out of desperation for a shoe to take me through my racing season, I ordered a pair.I like the looks of the shoe. It felt supportive although the insole looked light-duty (not at all uncommon in running shoes.) I put a pair of Sole Dean Karnazes insoles in them, and wore them to a trade show where I stood around on concrete all day for a whole weekend. I've also had them out for a run, and am very impressed with them.

Funny how things are always "feast or famine". Long ago, I put a link to Wilderness Running Company on my blog. They sell shoes, trail running gear, and all kinds of neato stuff. Occasionally they send me an email which ends up in my spam file, although I like reading it. The latest email had info on an Oboz shoe--the Hardscrabble.Obozis a small company near Bozeman, Montana, and they have a few ex-Montrail peeps on their staff. The ad claimed they had created a shoe specifically to replace the old Hardrocks!!!!!!!! And for a mere $65.00, I could have a pair. I ordered these in a flash, and received them with FREE SHIPPING!!They are an environmentally-friendly company. They plant a tree for every pair of shoes sold. I bet I will help plant a few trees! These shoes felt like old friends when I put them on. I can't stop grinning!! I intend to run in them at FlatRock this weekend. And if I love them as much as I think I do, I'll buy 3 or 4 trees worth when I get back. It is so nice to be blessed with good shoes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment