Sunday, September 14, 2008

Turkey and Taturs




Well, the race has been run, all the race stuff has been packed away, my medal is on the shelf with all the rest of the medals, I have had my second dose of vitamin I, and now it's race report time. After spending 12 hours the day before marking trails, and then getting 4 hours sleep, I was confident of a record setting time. To ensure that, I made sure to get to the starting line a good 13 minutes after the start of the race. Had to let everyone get on down the trail so I could run without having to wait any. Actually, I was out on the trails putting up a few signs that we had decided yesterday to save for next year due to Ike spewing torrential rain all over creation. But gosh darn the weatherman, they were wrong. Who'da thunk it? All of the rain must have shifted over into Arkansas or somewhere, because we were treated to partly cloudy skies and a steady north breeze. It was an awesome day to run.
So, I started my race with a nail apron, some roofing tacks, a 7 ounce hammer, and an armful of signs that Carolyn had made for us. tried to get as many up in the appropriate places before the speedy 25K runners blew by me. Let's just say I was about 65% successful. No other details will be offered about my pace early on.

The Turkey and Taturs Trail Race uses about 90% of the trails on the "L" shaped wilderness area. Some of the trails are nice and smooth, lending to a brisk pace for everyone.Other trails are ROCKY and very technical, and bring most trail runners to a walk.After running out of nails, I stashed the few signs I had left over, and my apron and tools and decided it was time to stop lallygagging and try to get myself out of last place. I ran hard when the trails were anything other than boulder fields and started catching up with a few of the 25K runners. "Nice job", "looking good" was the general comment as I managed to catch a few of the 25Kers, but I had a lot of ground to make up to catch anyone in the 50K.

Bobby and Susan were manning the lower parking lot aid station. Kristin and Russell joined them and they stayed all day, working a double-shift. Many thanks, guys.They were the next to the last aid station for the 50Kers, and did a super job. Part of the great job they did was keeping a nice cold Ultra waiting for me both times I came through. mmmmmm!

After running about 14 miles, I finally caught a few of the 50K runners. I passed five, but two of them decided to drop down to the 25K and call it a day. Upon reaching the 1/2 way point at the start and finish, I was treated to thunderous applause from several of my RunnersWorld runners who came out to be specTATURs. Thanks ladies! I love ya!
I still continued to push the pace, and had grand illusions of catching a few more runners and running a negative split. But as is common in an ultra, I slowed down a little in the late miles, and my 2nd half was about 20 minutes slower than my 1st half even though I had a few very slow miles early on. I did not pass any other runners and the only friendly faces I saw were at the aid stations.
It heated up a little around 1:30 or so, and I found a few more excuses to walk a bit here and there. Reasons like "ya need to work on your power walking" and "it's a little rocky here" and "let's see how quick the Garmin picks up the elevation changes", and I considered doing some snorkeling.
But I did not want to be passed, so I ran about 95% of the time. That 5% just showed up a little more in the final 3 miles or so.

Finally, I popped out on the very north end of the powerline and had a final look at downtown Tulsa. I knew there was only one more mile, and two more short hills. The finish was in the bag.

One of the trails along the way is one that we do not use all that much. I found this tree root which was picture-worthy.









I am proud of my dear wife Dana, who has ran the 25K all three years, and managed to shave 36 seconds off her time last year.
It was a good run for me. I ran hard at times, but all in all, it was more of a run than a race for me, although I did try to catch a few people.

I am one of six people who have ran and finished all three 50Ks. The slowest composite time for sure.
A long list....many many thanks. Tatur Uno who kept the aid stations stocked with water, Gatorade, and ice. Darcy, who spearheaded so much in the organization of the race, helped get sponsors, stuff donated, and then worked all day at the start/finish. Uni-cycle Doug for pitching in as he always does. Arnold who almost single-handedly fixed the washed out Hi-Ho trail, worked an aid station for half a day, and then picked up several miles of course markings. Brian and Kathy for dreaming of a big trail race and now we have had three years of Turkey and Taturs. A host of people from RunnersWorld....first, Stefani who rounded up and organized the volunteers. Linda, Brenda, Dustin and his wife, Bobby, Susan, Kirstin, Russell, Carmie, Cindy and her husband John, Simone, Candice, Joye, Sandra, Lisa, and Cassie (yummy hamburger!) From the Tulsa Running Club, Bobby, Ken, George, Marsha, Trani and Wayne. Earl and Jenn at the powerline aid station. Dana for making awesome chili, and making sure there was some left for me. Keith Winn for directing runners at the split. I am certain I am forgetting someone, and maybe several people.

No comments:

Post a Comment