Saturday, September 13, 2008

Race Day Eve




A good way to prepare for a grueling 50K is to spend all the day before in a death march marking trails. Actually, I got to sleep in as the trail marking party was set to commence at 7:00 am instead of my usual 5:45. We had around 20 volunteers out to help in spite of extremely threatening weather.I am sure to forget everyone, but thanks to Marvin, Kurt, Shelley, Dee, Aaron, Glen, Vicky, Polly, Ken, George, Mike Adams, Tatur Uno, Stefani, Kathy, Mitch, Darci, Tim, and I am sorry if I forgot anyone. Oh Yeah, Brian. A job that usually took Brian and I t full days was accomplished mostly by noon. And, other than a few sprinkles, we never got wet.

I played hopscotch from one trail to another, checking on the progress and putting up some of the directional arrows. I planned to put up some of the funniest most awesome signs that fellow Tatur Carolyn made for us. But I had her do them on poster board, and after an experiment in which 2 minutes of rain dissolved the poster board, we decided to save them for next year. :-( But the Booger brothers and company made some signs of their own on the trails that they marked. I did manage to go back out to snap a few pics, and here is the only one that turned out.Just one question: the gender was not specified.

I spent a lot of time with Marvin, who marked trails with me last year.

I ended up checking the last few miles with Tatur Uno himself.The mudslide area that Brian, Arnold, and I worked on earlier in the week was GREATLY improved. Someone, and I wish to personally thank them, spent a LOT of HARD EFFORT in rebuilding the damaged section. (Arnold, was it you?) We had put a band aid on the problem, but someone braced up the edges with logs, and shoveled a couple of TONS of wet sticky clay and packed it down, and then planted several big rocks along the path so that it will hold up. I think that after things dry up, all will be well. Uno and I tied some rope along a steep incline to help the weary trail runners in tomorrow's race.

After a morning of trail marking, the Booger Brothers emerged from the trail and replenished theirselves with some nice barley and hops flavored Gatorade. Glen had taken some of the caution tape and made himself a headband, and also wrapped the ribbon around his chest so that it resembled straps of ammunition. He was a dead ringer for Rambo, and in fact he still sleeps with his Rambo action figures. Here's a little photo-shop mischief in his honor.Next post will be a long epic account of the third anuual Turkey and Taturs 50K.

No comments:

Post a Comment