Monday, September 8, 2008

Trail work




I have been on Turkey Mountain almost every day the past week doing a little running, but doing a lot of trail work. This Sunday is the 3rd annual Turkey and Taturs 50K/25K/10K. This year, I am in charge of marking the course, which seems easy enough. Most of the trails are well traveled and in need of nothing more than some flagging before race day.
But some of the trails are quite overgrown.Hard to believe there is a trail here. But put a weed-eater in my hand and it'll be ready by race day.

On the west side, there is a section that goes right through a mass of thickets and honey-suckle bushes.

It is barely passable and the weed-eater grabs the vines and wraps around the spool and shuts things down.

I resorted to grooming my way through this wall of vines with a pair of scissors.

Surprisingly, I gathered only one very small seed tick, but did pick up a few dozen chiggers.


My trusty Craftsman weed- eater has slaughtered
quite a lot of poison ivy as well. You are welcome!

Study the picture of these leaves closely, and keep the heck away from them when you see them!

Sometime before Saturday, I need to try to improve a section of trail that was wiped out by a mudslide. It is passable now, but for someone zipping along doing 7 minute miles, they will probably cuss me if I don't do at least a little repair.I think I need to cut this tree out. People doing the 50K hit this section on their second loop and will hate ducking under this tree on unsure footing. (Well I will anyway!) Also, another huge boulder about this size has to be climbed over, and some dirt needs to be moved to build a ramp of sorts to assist in getting over it. There is a 300 lb rock sitting on top of the boulder. If it could be pushed off, would serve as a step. I'll post more pics of this area, providing I don't roll one of these boulders over onto me!

Any brave souls wanna help?? Give me a call 814-6433. I'll be out there tomorrow off and on. I do have Arnold meeting me at 6:00 pm. I may spring some rock-moving on him!

No comments:

Post a Comment