Saturday, September 6, 2008

Running before the sun comes out




My Saturday morning group runs at 5:45 during the summer to beat the heat. Now that fall is upon us, we run for an hour or more before the sun comes up. I am always a sucker for a good sunset or sunrise pic, but this morning it was cloudy and rainy.Tulsa is a beautiful city with lots of good paved running trails with great views of downtown. While I love the trails and the solitude of being deep in the woods, there is a certain allure to "city running."This morning, we had a heavy cloud cover, some lightning in the distance, a little cold rain threatening to douse us, and enough north wind to make us keep our pace up to stay warm.This morning, I mixed it up a lot. I ran easy at first, stopping to take some pictures for the other blog that I do. Not too many good pics of people today due to lack of light. I bombed the downhills, getting down in the mid 5's for a short time (according to my Garmin). Now I am not saying that I could run a whole mile at 5-something, but I do know I probably ran faster than I ever have, and for maybe a few hundred feet, I could have possibly kept up with some old Kenyans who were Weight-Watchers dropouts. Up and down 3 very long hills and ran every step at 90-100%. It felt good. And despite the clouds, I snapped a few interesting shots.It is great to get your long run in, and still beat the breakfast crowd for pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment