Thursday, November 24, 2011

Chef TZ




My grandmother used to make the most awesome coconut pie. Her recipe was in her head, and in her later years, sometimes it was a little on the salty side, sometimes it was runny, soggy on bottom, but still always soooo good.It took some doing, but for the most part, I got her recipe and I have it on my computer, and also typed and laminated, and saved in a few different locations. It's from semi-scratch, with only cook-and-serve pudding the only shortcut.
Yes, I can separate eggs. (As you can see, a tiny bit of yolk got in the egg whites, but I dipped it out. The yolks are saved and used too.)
What you are seeing here is the makings of homemade pie crust. That, in my opinion, is the secret to knock-out pie.
It's a messy job, but soooo worth it.
Dana came home and saw the finished pies and said "You bought your crust, didn't ya." BWAHAHAHA!! I took PICTURES!!!
Here I am preparing for 45 minutes of stirring. Added to the mix is some sugar, coconut, vanilla, butter, salt, corn starch, and yes--all those egg yolks.
The yummy filling (I almost have a tummy ache from eating all the leftovers!!) Notice the toasted coconut in tin pan. Toasting it keeps the oil from the shavings from messing up the temperamental meringue.
And this is the trickiest part of the pie. Sometimes it sweats, sometimes it weeps. (Not unlike ultra runners)
One more to top, and in the oven they go.
I cook them slow, until they are light brown. Then I let then cool IN THE OVEN, and then on the counter and I'll chill them before I go to bed.
Not blue ribbon material, but OMG they taste so good!!!
A sure fire way to gain the 6 pounds back I've lost this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment