Wednesday, August 3, 2011

outdoor cooking




A long string of super hot days brings out the best in people, and the worst as well. Cliches abound. "Been hot enough for ya?" "It's so hot...."Well, I decided to put the old "fry an egg on the sidewalk" thing to the test. Problem is, there ain't no sidewalks at my house, and the driveway is in the shade. So, I picked me out a nice piece of asphalt to be my cooktop. I got out our cast-iron skillet (since I intended to eat them eggs and sidn't want a bunch of road garbage in them.) A bit of bacon seemed like a good idea too, and I know I know--it's precooked.
I had preheated the skillet about 30 minutes, and seriously, it was hot to the touch. It was 113° and I expected to hear a sizzle when I cracked the eggs. No sizzle, but the eggs did immediately turn white.And then, wouldn't you know it, a big cloud covered the sun. So, I installed my new rain gauge and prayed for a bit of rain.
It was a bit of a wait, but a nice cold beer made the time pass quicker. In fact, after a couple, I almost forgot to flip the eggs. Never was a sunny-side-up guy.
The going was slow, but I think I still had my breakfast fixed faster than the last time I was at Denny's.
Not the best ever, but I had to eat it.
Maybe I'll bake cookies on the dash of my car tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment