Saturday, August 27, 2011

Change of plans--a leisurely day on the trailz




I bailed on going to HNH 100 today, and instead spent the day with my sweetie running some of the incredible trailz above the Illinois River NE of Tahlequah. The pictures from the previous post are a sampling of why I cannot stay away!!There are rocky sections, steep uphills, and downhills, and a lot of nice runnable pine needle covered single track. Zombie food!! (Well, TZ food at least!)

Aside from a bit of commenting on the steepness of the grade and the abundance of sharp flint rocks, Taturcakes seemed to enjoy the day.

The edge of the bluffs where I was Thursday--Dana was a bit iffy about getting too close to the edge, but she did venture close enough to take this picture.

Thanks to a handy ledge on a craggy rock and a prop-up by my camera case, and the use of a 10 second timer, this pic was made possible. Hurrying to beat the 10 seconds to the edge of the cliff--maybe not the best idea.

I photographed this cliff Thursday, and today, Dana waited while I scampered up over and down to it. I gotta say, with my bifocals, and creeping to the edge, it was a bit eerie. I stayed a safe distance away from the very edge, although I had planned on leaning out over it.

I met a runner out on the trailz today, who knew a little about trail running, and had heard of Pumpkin Holler and knew a few folks I know. Small world. I asked him if he knew of any other trail spurs up here, and he said that really all that was really here was a 2 mile straight-thru to Sparrow Hawk Village (Where I went Thursday) and a couple of apron trailz near the trail head. Dang! I wish there were 7-8 miles more!!

So Dana and I continued on in a direction that seemed north, but was really more east. The way the river winds around makes me lose all direction. (I did have my Garmin, and should have checked my heading!)We made it to the end, and the trail actually dumps out into someone's driveway. We used that driveway, their street, and followed the gravel and paved roads back to our car.

We were treated to over a mile of nice shaded downhills with a few switchbacks. But all too soon, we ran out of downhills and shade. The sun was up and cooking, and with the temperatures at 93ish, we slowed our pace and did a little more walking. We both had two water bottles, and were drinking liberally.

Dana stops for a break in some shade. We were setting no land-speed records this day. It was somewhere along here that food started sounding SOOO good. We decided Sam and Ellas Pizza in Tahlequah would hit the spot!!

Two miles of trail, and 4.4 miles of road, and we were done. We gave thought to running some of the Pumpkin Holler course, but instead just drove a couple of sections.

One last pic for the trail. Legs tired, bellies full. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment