Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sheppard Cove Trailz




I visited these trailz back in the fall and did not have time to give them a good exploring. This evening, I trotted around for an hour or so and I think I need to go back.This is Sheppard's Point on Heyburn Lake. These are equstrian trailz, but they are not at all beat up like a lot of horse trailz are.
From this map, I couldn't really tell if there were 6-8 miles or 15-20. I even had trouble determining where I was on the map. After scratching my head for 3 minutes and 30 seconds, I decided I was right on the black dot where the orange and red trailz were knotted up together. I really didn't care--I just wanted to run. So I took off on whae turned out to be the red trail.
Just nice single track. Not a lot of rocks, not a lot of roots. A few months back, there was not grass brushing your legs, and already I was concerned about little hitchhikers.
Most of this was very runnable. This would be a great place for a TOTs run--maybe in the fall. Maybe after the Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd.
I ran out on the point--there was water on both sides and great pictures were there for the taking. Heyburn Lake was evidently a popular camping spot in years past. There were lots of scenic campsites with level gravel pads and electric hoolups, but they have been abandoned for years, overgrown with weeds. Do people just not camp anymore?
Heyburn Lake is beautiful--a little muddy, but still scenic. Across the lake, there were a few people swimming in what must have been a beach area.
I was just under 2 miles out, and had burned almost 40 minutes taking pictures and checking for hitchhikers. While I wanted to get 5-6 miles in, I decided to head back to the car. As I almost always do, I went back another way.
Something you don't see in the woods every day. Chances are, any horseman knows this as a major landmark.
The sun was getting lower, and I picked up my pace just a tad, No danger of being caught out after dark, but I wanted to have a little time to drive around to see if I could find another trailhead. I did see another trailhead north of 141st (not on the map) called rattleSnake Trail. It was fairly overgrown, and I'll check it out maybe next timeout.
This little friend was out for an evening trot. I was either treading lightly, or he was hard of hearing. I got within 20 feet of him, and he saw me and truned into the woods in a hurry.
And the hitchhikers--I ended up with 24 of them. Most were big enough so as to be easily seen. The tiny seed ticks are a little tougher to spot. I am very aware of mysterious itches, and a couple of the little buggers have chomped their pinchers into me. Another visit to these trailz will wait until tick season is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment