Friday, October 2, 2009



Last week I read an article in the Tulsa World announcing that for the first time in many years, there will be a hunting season for black bear in Oklahoma. I am sure that had I read this on FaceBook, I would NOT have hit the "like" button. The article stated that black bears were becoming a nuisance, and a season was needed to control the population. Supposedly, only 20 per year will be harvested, and they can only be hunted by bow hunters with a possibility of a muzzle-loader hunt if the 20 bear limit is not met. I have ran trails through the wilderness area in the counties where the hunts are allowed, and I have never seen a bear, although I would like to....from a distance. I wonder if an arrow is lethal enough to kill a bear....would there be a possibility of a bear merely getting injured and suffering a slow death? Hmmm.... Maybe with the hunts limited to archery, the bears will stand a better chance, but I am sure most bow hunters would find that comment hilarious.

The season was only a day old, and one bear has already been killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment