Thursday, October 8, 2009

counting the hours




It's Thursday evening. I'm almost packed for my race this weekend, the Heartland Spir....well like the pic says. My 2nd year doing the 100 miler. I am ready. I wanna start tonight. I would like to head out the door right now and run to the starting line and just keep going. Mind says yes, body would say nope, I am sure. I have done my training, got in 6 runs over the marathon distance since July, including back-to-back 26.2ers, and a pair of monster-tough 50Ks. I am pumped, and want to get another race in this year. Can I work in the Ozark 100?? We'll see.

Cassoday, Kansas. Famous for the 100 mile/50 mile race each October, but only to crazy peeps who run ultras.It's famous to other people for the winged peeps. Never seen a prairie chicken on my trip last year though. Maybe this year....

I swiped these pics from the KUS website, although I have some very similar ones on my blogpost from last year. This course is miles and miles of gravel road. Big horizons that never get closer. The earth moves below your feet like a treadmill, and runners seem motionless. It's hypnotic in a freaky sort of way.

Hoping for some good weather. Last year, the heat was a bit of a factor in the late afternoon. This year's forecast includes rain, highs in the low 40s, and lows around 28. Rain and even a chance of snow has been mentioned. BRRR!

Mile 36, and then again at mile 64 is a real treat. The Ridgeline aid station manned by Dave Dinkel is an oasis indeed.Dave serves a delicacy called Dave Dinkel's Prairie Power Pellets, a secret recipe that breathes life back into many a weary ultrarunner. They are amazing!!

A lot of my friends are going. Kathy, of course, Jason doing his 1st 100, Lisa and Roman doing their 1st 50s, Randy Ellis, Earl Blewett, and I am sure there are others I am forgetting. My friend Ken Saveth aka K2 is gunning for his 1st 100 mile finish. I am pacing him, and have my cattle prod packed. We'll be crewed by SuperCrewBabe Dana, CrewBabes-in-training Susan, Bobby, and Sandra; and Jason has recruited his mom to be his CrewBabe.

More tales about this adventure when I get back! Rumor has it that Russell and Christin are coming to crew and pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment