Wednesday, November 26, 2008

two days for the price of one


Yesterday was a day to tie up loose ends. My job is all too slow this time of year, and there was no work to do. How bout a extra long holiday weekend? So, I did a few errands and then went for a run on Turkey Mountain.Some trail angels have cut some new trails....actually making an extension of a trail that we call the bunny trail. Nice fast single track with minimal rocks.A few nice ups and downs as well.Better pick up the pace. The sun sets early in November.

There was a walking club (The Tulsa Walking Club) that had an outing about a week ago. They marked the route they wanted to go with orange paint. Often, they painted fallen leaves which is ok...it just looks like orange litter on the ground, but the leaves will decompose. Other places they painted on the grass.Again, no biggie. Not all that good for the grass or for the environment, but in a few months no one will even know it was done.

But I do have a real problem with this....The orange spray paint on the rocks will be something we have to look at for years. I am contacting this group and will ask them to do whatever it takes to remove the paint before I turn them into the River Parks authority. Sounds petty on my part, but I don't want to have to look at that every time I run on my mountain.

After that, I hurried across the river to run with RunnersWorld. Check the RunnersWorld blog for some tidbits about that.

Today, I played a quick round of Frisbee golf with my son. More on that on a later blog post.

Then it was pie baking time. David Ray, you can start drooling now. My specialty is a coconut meringue that is from a recipe handed down from my grandmother. I have tweaked it a little here and there thanks to Google and have what is maybe the perfect pie. Not necessarily the prettiest, but quite possibly the yummiest.It all starts from the crust. A good pie needs a good foundation. I make mine from scratch. Yes, it is a little messy. Yes, I have flour on my shirt.I have improved my technique on my crusts, and find it therapeutic to make them. My mental health depends on simple things like pie making and running.Five more crusts and then I pop them in the oven to pre-bake for about 12 minutes. Then it's time to make the filling.Now I do use a cook-and-serve pie filling mix, but I do add a lot of other ingredients, some of which are top secret. If I told you, I'd have to marry you, adopt you, kill you, or find some really good dirt on you.Yes, a Zombie can separate egg whites! Making the meringue is a very tricky thing. Meringue can be so temperamental, and I do not always nail it. But even when it weeps a little, it still tastes good. I do have a few little tricks that help insure a perfect meringue, but sometimes all the tricks still fall short. I did not get a pic of this process, since it requires a lot of multitasking, and my hands were sticky enough I did not want to touch my camera.

Four coconut pies in the oven, two lemon pies already out.Now when Dana makes her famous potato casserole, all will be well!

Have a great Thanksgiving everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment