Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mud slide? Earthquake?


This sign was posted on Keetonville Road not far from where I used to live two years ago. I was over that way and wanted to get a soy latte from the Pecan Porch on the Port Road, but to my disappointment, they had gone out of business. I had heard that the heavy rains had destroyed the portions of Keetonville Road near the Verdigris River, and of course I had to go check it out. Reading the sign, I shrugged and hopped over the old makeshift iron gate that someone had rigged up to block the road. Had to get a closer look, ya know!

The first sign of damage was a huge sink hole which had allowed a half moon sized chunk of road to crumble away. My thoughts were why not just fix it?
A couple hundred yards later, it looked like the side of the mountain had suffered an earthquake.
Still think a 4 wheel drive vehicle would have no problem getting through here.
This used to be one of my favorite running routes. From my house northward all the way to highway 20 and back was seven miles, complete with a river view, several hills, and lots of peace and quiet. Night running always brought a lot of glowing eyes into play. Sometimes the eyes were far enough apart that my pace picked up considerably!

They have no plans at all to rebuild this stretch of road. People living just on the other side of the road damage have to drive an extra 10-15 extra miles or so around through Claremore or Owasso to get through what was otherwise a short 3 mile trip. But I think it's still a good place to run, provided the warning sign is just a bluff!


Thursday, July 31, 2008Friday, August 1, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment