Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A day in a life of a zombie


Tis usually so-so to bad news when the boss calls before 8:00 am. This morning, I just let the phone ring, and made coffee before calling him back. In his usual gruff voice, he asked what I had going on this afternoon. That usually means he wants me to make a trip out of town to run a lead that he does not want to do. (Quite the pessimist, aren't I?) But to my shock, he asked if I wanted to play some golf!!!! :-) :-) I gave this some thought for about a half a nano-second, and said HECK YEAH! SO after making a couple phone calls and figuring a couple of jobs, I headed out to White Hawk. Shock two was when he picked me up at my truck in a golf cart and had already paid for my cart and green fee. He also bought drinks (water) and lunch (hot dog and diet coke). 
What did I do for thanks???? I beat his butt all around the course. Actually, I had 5 or 6 pars, quite a few bogies, and a couple of disasters. He also had a few good hole as well. It was a very enjoyable afternoon. Take away a 6 on a par 3 and a 9 on a par 5, and it would have been a respectable round for someone who plays only a few times a year.

After golf, I had just enough time to get to the trails to meet my Wednesday night buddies for our run.We are a high tech group of trail runners. Here, we stop to review a previous trail race on a laptop Brian had set up on the trail.

We also wear high tech shoes!Cool shades Aaron sports his new Inov-8s. We have been trying to get the Inov-8 rep to visit us at RunnersWorld for months, and would like to sell their shoes. The rep calls, but has yet to set up a visit.

Pictured on the front are Glenn and Brian with the antennas, and in the back, Bee-Sting Bob, T Z, Kurt, Shelley, Mike from Kansas City, and Vicky. Cool Shades Aaron took the picture.

After running to the end of the mountain, Brian, Bee Sting, Mike, and I ran to the mi-chi trail where the mudslide wiped the trail off the map. It was my opinion that this section needed some major attention before the Turkey and Taturs race.Brian loses it and slides all the way to the bottom.He then decides that it was FUN, and wants everyone to have a turn at it!! :-)Tired ultra-runners should have no problem ducking under this tree.

Mike and Bee Sting Bob bush-whack their way through the mudslide area.






I had envisioned a series of rickety bridges on the side of the mountain. Maybe we'll see some bridges for the next Barkley Book Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment