Sunday, June 29, 2008

Another weekend, some more fun running stuff....

There is a recurring theme in my blog, I know. Seems like every weekend there is a long run, some friends, some silliness. Keeps me away from the mental institution, so it must be good.

Saturday morning, I overslept about 30 minutes, and did not get to go to Boulder Park to see my road running friends. Since I do the blog for RunnersWorld, I usually like to be there taking pictures and finding story-lines. But Kathy took several pics and I'll be able to work with those.

Instead, I was early for the group run on Turkey Mountain. We meet every Saturday at 7:00 am for a few miles through tick-land. (Just 2 ticks for me this morning!) We have had as many as 10 runners show up, and I suspect we'll have many more in the coming weeks. But this morning with dark gray skies and rumbling thunder a few miles to the south, we only had a crowd of three.We ran the red loop, snatching some of the remaining markers from the BBF as we went. Then, we climbed to the top of the east mountain and ran the 1/2 mile downhill bunny hill. Vicky had never been on this trail, and her and Greg seemed to like it. We then took the upper ridge trail north to Sitting Rock, and then proceeded west and did a little of the BBF night course from the 2006 run. I had not been on this trail in a year or more, and a couple of fallen trees have just about buried this forgotten trail for good. The Dr. Seuss bridges were still there, but little by little, the planks are rotting away. I would not call them safe at all....fun, but not safe! Then it was westward on some of the more obscure trails, overgrown with natural grass (weeds), and very slick rocks. It was a great place to stock up on chiggers, and to break a tail bone. Fortunately, I only partook of option one.
Vicky and Greg cautiously descend to Mooser Creek.

After a 5.5 mile scriggly loop, I bid them goodbye, and drove across the river to run 4 miles with Dana. She has picked up her pace, and ran 4 miles in 44 minutes and change, even with a few short walk breaks mixed in.

Then, I zipped back home, showered, and went to a golf tournament with my sons Chuck and Jason. It was a scramble format, and we reeled of 16 pars in a row before birdieing two holes, parring one,
and bogieing the final hole. (!@*%&!%%#!@#!!)Jason and Chuck wait out a rain delay.

10:30 pm, I met what I thought was gonna be 6-7 friends to run a night run on the Turnpike trail. Instead, 14 runners showed up, most of them TATURs, and most of them running 14 miles into the night.From left to right: Johnny, Brad, Ken S., Susan, Brian, Cindy, Carmie, T Z pouring water on Dan, Caroline, Rob, Kathy, and Boy Dana. Deon is missing….maybe he was taking the picture?

Temps were in the mid 70s, and humidity felt like it was in the mid nineties. I had the soaked-shorts thing going on after only a mile. Despite having run 9.5 miles in the morning, I felt fresh, and ran like a kid with new sneakers. There are a few nice hills on the Creek, and some peeps ran them, and some walked.
We had an ice chest stashed at 4 miles out that we also hit on the return trip, and at 7 miles out at the turn-around.T Z gives Tatur Uno a geriatric supplement drink to wash his Geritol down.

Special thanks to Cindy's husband who sagged for us and offered a taxi service for those bailing at 7 miles.

For another report from Brad, click here: Brad's blog

After our 14 miles, Rob and I ran for another 12.5 miles just to say we had ran a marathon, We did manage to finish under 6 hours including our stops at the ice chests.
Kathy caught completely off guard by the photographer.

Rob jams to his Hannah Montana tunes.

Deon, lost in space.

No comments:

Post a Comment