Sunday, June 1, 2008

3 runs in 21 hours

I'll try to catch up on the weekend all in one post....so here goes. Friday night, almost on a whim, I participated in the Kidney Klassic 5K. This was once a huge race (The Full Moon Kidney Klassic) but a few years ago, it split into 2 races The Full Moon 5K and the Kidney Klassic 5K.) Both races are on the same course, and the Day Ohn Day was mostly on the same course. There are at least 2 other 5Ks during the year that use this same part of Riverside Drive. I feel like I know every little crack and bump in the road. This was also a race that Taylor's Titans got to run.I told everyone I was just gonna jog it...ya know, the "run for fun" thing. But when the gun sounded, my competitive juices took over and I hammered down.

I was running in my brand new Asics Gel Nimbus 10s, which are a little more neutral than I would normally wear, but they are perfect for straight- forward road running....very cushioned, and they will work wonders for me when I do the Mother Road 100 this November. 


Dana ran her 1st road race in a few years and looked strong crossing the finish line.

I am still learning about taking night pics. It has been a trial and error thing! Most of my shots at the 5K were quite grainy.





Part two of the weekend's adventure was a birthday run for fellow TATUR Bill Richardson. Bill always runs his birthday in years. Bill has run a 2:47 marathon and a 4:42 mile, and by my calculations, he would have this birthday run in the books in 5 hours or so. But oh well, I thought I would go dish myself out some punishment! Brain and Kathy went with me and we met Bill out in the middle of the Oklahoma plains, a few miles north of Stillwater.It was a pitch black night, with no moon until a small sliver of moon arose at about 4:30 am. Bill had picked some nice soft dirt and gravel roads for us to run on. A couple of snakes also thought they were nice soft roads!Brian conquers his fear, reaches for the snake, and then pees his shorts when the snake moves.

Shortly after the 2nd snake, we saw the brightest, longest, and widest shooting star I have ever seen.
The night wore on, and the four of us had an awesome time enjoying the night air, sights, and sounds. Kathy had to be back in town by 7:00 am, Brian kept losing socks, and I was just along for the ride, so at about 5:00, we wound our run at about 18 miles, and headed back towards Tulsa. Brian did the most awesome job driving us home while we napped. I think he may have napped a little as well. I showered and slept for about 5 hours, and then headed out the door for another long run. I headed across the 71st Street bridge,and went south on the Riverside Trail. The river was way up, and at times, the feeder creeks looked more like the everglades of Florida.At Jenks, I headed east on the Creek Turnpike Trail. I wanted to see if the new bridge east of Mingo was open, and was pleased to find it was indeed finished!The recent rain had the stream roaring. I stopped and rested for 20 minutes or so and listened to the sound of the water.I guess if I had to live under a bridge, this would be a good one! I slowed down a little on the way back, walking a hill or two, and jogging slowly the rest of the way, stopping to snap a shot every now and then.

It topped out at 95 degrees, but I stayed hydrated thanks to Quik Trip and Starbucks. This is me after my 2nd frozen cappuccino! A nice treat after a hot 18 miler.
Today, I have slept off and on for 15 hours. You, if you have made it this far, have spent 15 hours reading about my weekend, and thank you for reading my tales. After two 18 milers, my body feels tired, but nothing aches. It's 9:15, and after a bite to eat, I am gonna hit the paved trail on Turkey for an easy five. Monday will come all too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment